• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lifters

mac

What ?
Reaction score
looking into some tuning issues with engine. i would like to hear what you would say are the effects of lifters not pumping up properly. besides the ticking, would there be maybe some popping, or pinging under load? things like that.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Yes and please tell me you keep a good amount of Zinc, phosphate in the oil. Has it been sitting around a long time Mac?

mac

What ?
Reaction score
no i drive it at least 2 times a week. oil is always changed every year (not enough miles) and i add additives. problems seemed to surface at the end of last summer. was in 3rd gear going on expressway and starting to hear sounds i did not like under load. the tune did not change so i looked at the preload on the lifters (have ductile iron rockers) and it seems difficult to get the adjustment right on a few like they won't stay pumped up.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
So after a good long drive they still won't pump up they might have to come out and be inspected. How many? Oh when you adjust them you go zero lash and how much beyond zero do you go? One last thing I take it the oil pressure is ok.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
when I got my current car, it would ping under a load. adjusted the timing, added octane booster (which I've never needed), and was at a loss. my mechanic buddy came over, and first thing he did was pull the electronic ignition and put a points dizzy in. better but still not gone completely.we pulled the valve covers, and he figured out I had several weak lifters, low volume ones. I pulled the high volumes out of the 440 in my burned up car and problem solved.

quikbird

Reaction score
If we are talking hydraulic flat tappets, solution is as basket did and replace bad lifters. If clumped together could be obstruction in oil gallery.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
So after a good long drive they still won't pump up they might have to come out and be inspected. How many? Oh when you adjust them you go zero lash and how much beyond zero do you go? One last thing I take it the oil pressure is ok.

i am assuming oil pressure is good (no gauge). they were adjusted to zero lash and then 3/4 turn. i have done a little looking around and it seems there is enough feed back that lifters are not as good as they once were and ones that won't stay pumped up may be the likely answer. have a few other projects to look into so in a couple of weeks i may just take off intake and give a good look.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
We just took a hemi apart that had 3 soft lifters and since the rockers are adjustable he is going back to a solid grind. I know you put one of Bob's cams in any idea what lifters you used. I just put comps into my 440 it is quiet so far not many hours on it yet just moving the valiant around. Its my understanding there are only 1 or 2 manufacturers but do they make them to different specs for different companies?

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I would look for some testimonies on lifters, out of 6 cams Ive done over the years that have a good number of miles on them I have never had a Comp fail. That's not to say they haven't changed.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
I would look for some testimonies on lifters, out of 6 cams Ive done over the years that have a good number of miles on them I have never had a Comp fail. That's not to say they haven't changed.

just for giggles went and looked at the comp lifters offered at summit. which one do you use?

quikbird

Reaction score
I've had issues with comps hydraulic rollers lifters but current set seems to doing ok. No real experience with the flat tappet ones.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
just for giggles went and looked at the comp lifters offered at summit. which one do you use?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-822-16/overview/make/dodge
I can get 5500-6000 rpm for way longer than an engine should go on a hill climb in my 401 AMC Jeep with no valve float and 3 Mopars without issues The anti pump is the next step up I cant tell the difference I had a 383 that would still pump them up anything over 7000 RPM and you won't see that.

RR383

Reaction score
Hey...I believe I may have a weak lifter or two on the passenger side of the motor viewed from the front. Is this a common problem with original mileage motors...98K? Is there an reliable additive available like good ole' STP or another to calm them done?:huh:

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If they are old and varnished people would put some ATF in place of a quart of oil for awhile. Some swore by Marvel Mystery oil and some times they just wore out or got some dirt in them.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
can you service them? if i remove the intake (i can't get them through the heads) and remove them, can they be disassembled and cleaned?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
As far as testing I don't know how to check the bleed down rate, that is why I replace them.

Back