• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lifters

TOMRR

Reaction score
I have another 440 that needs lifters . How hard of a job is that ?? do you need to pull the heads? or just take off intake and rocker arms ??

Thanks Tom C.

Ranger

Reaction score
No need to remove the intake (or heads) on the 383 or 440. Just remove the valve covers, rocker assembly & push rods. Then using a telescoping magnetic pickup tool, pull each lifter up and out through the push rod hole.

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
No need to remove the intake (or heads) on the 383 or 440. Just remove the valve covers, rocker assembly & push rods. The using a telescoping magnetic pickup tool, pull each lifter up and out through the push rod hole.

As long as there is no varnish ring around the lifter but I suppose there is some kind of long plier or forceps that could be used.

quikbird

Reaction score
there is a small tool just for this job. it is a piece that is similar to the pickup tool with the little claw at the end. in this case however when you push the plunger the two small pieces push outward and engage the top of the lifter and just lift it out. I found several on the web, auto[parts warehouse is one such place

Back