• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lightweight Springs for Fiberglass Hood??

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've decided to use the hinges rather than having a full lift-off with the AAR Fiberglass 6 Pack hood I bought. My body shop guy says we'll need "lightweight" springs to use on the hinges. Artie at AAR says they don't have them, but they found that heating the springs while under a load loosens them up a bit.

Anyone know where I might get a new set of lightweight springs?

Thanks,

John

moparstuart

Reaction score
JJRJR said:
Hey guys, I've decided to use the hinges rather than having a full lift-off with the AAR Fiberglass 6 Pack hood I bought. My body shop guy says we'll need "lightweight" springs to use on the hinges. Artie at AAR says they don't have them, but they found that heating the springs while under a load loosens them up a bit.

Thanks,

John
maybe ask the AAR / T/A guys ???????????????????

JJRJR

Reaction score
moparstuart said:
JJRJR said:

Thanks,

John
maybe ask the AAR / T/A guys ???????????????????

I asked AAR, they don't have them. The said to heat the springs to loosen them. Would rather get new ones if I can.

JJRJR

Reaction score
Ahh, got it. Thanks Stuart. I'll check it out.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
I have springs attached to my hood and I want to say the springs are from a T/A Challenger. I will check and post more info. However, I made the same desicion for my car. I did not want to lift off the hood everytime I wanted to look at or work on the engine. I still use two hood pins for the front.

JJRJR

Reaction score
4spd69RR said:
I have springs attached to my hood and I want to say the springs are from a T/A Challenger. I will check and post more info. However, I made the same desicion for my car. I did not want to lift off the hood everytime I wanted to look at or work on the engine. I still use two hood pins for the front.

Thanks so much. That's exactly what I was thinking. Any info you can provide would be great.

thanks,

John

JJRJR

Reaction score
U da man Stuart, thank you so much.

John

dobie

Reaction score
I have a set of the light weight springs as well, and I also bought them from Stephen's Performance.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
JJRJR, I did install the light weigt Challenger T/A springs on my hood. They work great, attached is a couple of pics with mine installed.

Jeff (4spd69RR)

IMG_1154.JPG

IMG_1156.JPG

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
dobie said:
I have a set of the light weight springs as well, and I also bought them from Stephen's Performance.

since you uslng your hood as a true Lift off l guess those springs are just gatherlng dust... :huh: let me know lf you wanna get rlde of them. l talked to Pentastar Reproductlons about thelr hoods and they want $30 for the sprlngs.

zupanj

Reaction score
Thanks for this thread, I was going to ask the same question. I don't seem to do good with a lift off hood. Something always gets damaged. What other part would be needed besides the hinges, springs and bumpers. I have the locking mechanism that is on the radiator support but I think I need a couple of pieces that fit on the hood as well.

dobie

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
dobie said:

since you uslng your hood as a true Lift off l guess those springs are just gatherlng dust... :huh: let me know lf you wanna get rlde of them. l talked to Pentastar Reproductlons about thelr hoods and they want $30 for the sprlngs.
Hey Dave. I just saw your post on this. I'll have to try and find them. I went looking for them when this thread was started and I couldn't find them.

moparchris

Reaction score
zupanj said:
Thanks for this thread, I was going to ask the same question. I don't seem to do good with a lift off hood. Something always gets damaged. What other part would be needed besides the hinges, springs and bumpers. I have the locking mechanism that is on the radiator support but I think I need a couple of pieces that fit on the hood as well.

I wouldn't use the factory latches. Use the front hood pins you already have. :cents:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Steve...no rush slnce Ray's hood ls still lost en route.
Chrls...no go on the latch? why? weak spot?
l have hood pins (the Autozone garbage some PO added...ln the wrong spot naturally...one of the rwasons l want a dlfferent hood)
lf l can get a Llft off type hood l would have a set of factory plns on the front.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I have a friend with a T/A Challenger that took the springs off his to keep the hood from bending like some AAR/TA hoods do. I've also seen them delaminate.

Many years ago I made a couple of hooks for him out of some 1/4" rod. They hook in place of the springs. You lift the hood, slip the hooks in place and there you are.

They were pretty simple, if I remember right, I bent one end of a length of rod around something round and then I figured the length of the spring with the hood open and bent the other end 90° from the other. IIRC, I made a left and a right, but I don't think the springs are that way.

Back