• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Like to see them topless or ...

railrider

Reaction score
Whats the general opinion about vinyl tops on Road Runners? I am sure some like them with and other without??

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
railrider said:
Whats the general opinion about vinyl tops on Road Runners? I am sure some like them with and other without??
For me it depends on color and hood treatment, I go both ways :D As far as rare goes how about a different color painted top.

railrider

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I like a nice contrast. I think B5 looks good with or without. Of course black on them is my favorite. My car was red with black top originally. However I have changed to 2001 Prowler Flame Orange which is similar to the burnt orange they had in the 60's. I had planned to delete the top on the car but saw one the other day with a black vinyl top & hood stripes and it looked pretty sexy. Got me to thinking it may break up all that burnt orange a little. :cool:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I've always like vinyl tops on cars. That's why I added it back onto my car. And it did the same thing that you mention about breaking up the main color of the car. I love the green, but sometimes you can have too much of a good thing.

railrider

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
I've always like vinyl tops on cars. That's why I added it back onto my car. And it did the same thing that you mention about breaking up the main color of the car. I love the green, but sometimes you can have too much of a good thing.

Looks good in your pictures!

droptop

Reaction score
I always liked a v top on any thing. I put one on my '66 300 and I am getting ready to put a 1/2 top on my '71 RR. I think they add a bit of class to any car. :cents:

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
either way looks good. I feel, however vinyl tops can be a pain to keep clean with all that texture, but they do speed along the body work and paint stages. so it's a win either way.

railrider

Reaction score
3BIRDS1X said:
but they do speed along the body work and paint stages. so it's a win either way.

If I add one I will still finish the roof out and paint it all just like I would if I were going topless! lol

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I thought long and hard about adding the hood treatment to the car but originality won out. It is allot of blue and I was thinking it would break it up a bit.

moparchris

Reaction score
railrider said:
3BIRDS1X said:
but they do speed along the body work and paint stages. so it's a win either way.

If I add one I will still finish the roof out and paint it all just like I would if I were going topless! lol
Your a very smart guy. These things rust like hell without a coat of paint to protect the metal. I am surprised how many people go to great lengths to restore a car and then leave the top in primer!

sam z

Reaction score
My car was T7 with black vinyl originally. It is now R4 with no vinyl.
When the vinyl came off last year there were no rust issues either. Paint
guy said it was really unusual (Read Chris above).

However, I saw a maroon RR at Carlisle a few years ago with a black vinyl top
and it looked pretty friggin mean.

I dunno....I have simple taste. Most muscle cars to me look good in black, red,
or white with no vinyl. Whatever.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
sam z said:
My car was T7 with black vinyl originally. It is now R4 with no vinyl.
When the vinyl came off last year there were no rust issues either. Paint
guy said it was really unusual (Read Chris above).

However, I saw a maroon RR at Carlisle a few years ago with a black vinyl top
and it looked pretty friggin mean.

I dunno....I have simple taste. Most muscle cars to me look good in black, red,
or white with no vinyl. Whatever.

I've heard about the problems with the rust, but I think there's a big difference now. In the day these cars were in the elements everyday, in every kind of weather so the they would suffer the consequences with the rust issues. But now that these cars are, for the most part anyways, garage kept, and only rarely out in the rain, I wonder if the vinyl roof cars will suffer from the same kind of rust issues. And with my car I know that the roof was painted with the body color, so it has that protection with the vinyl roof back on the car.

railrider

Reaction score
I have seen several vinyl top cars that had holes where the 1/4 meets the roof skin, and once it has the hole it runs down inside the 1/4 and rots the rockers.

I am planning to put on one, and got my top today. I will seal the roof with PPG Epoxy, and then spray it body color. I will allow it some time for the reducers to evaporate and then I will install the top. Should hold up longer than I will. :facepalm:

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
for the record speeding along the body and paint stages isn't the same as not painting it at all, my direction was you don't need to get very mint bodywork or perfect wet sanding if you are putting a top on it which is a time saver. I think water gets to the rockers with or without a vinyl top plugged drain holes is the culprit there, but yeah holes are holes and water can get down there, also if I remember right the trim piece traps dirt in there too. one way or another time does us all in. :cheers:

railrider

Reaction score
3BIRDS1X said:
for the record speeding along the body and paint stages isn't the same as not painting it at all, my direction was you don't need to get very mint bodywork or perfect wet sanding if you are putting a top on it which is a time saver. I think water gets to the rockers with or without a vinyl top plugged drain holes is :cheers:

I see what you mean. Yeah I doubt I will wet sand and buff the roof before the vinyl is installed. I didn't think you meant apply it right over Bondo, or primer though. lol

What I meant about the holes in the rockers was the cars get a hole where the 1/4 meets the roof skin and then leak. It rots the whole rocker out even the top along with part of the 1/4 panel. Its far worse rust than I have seen just from having clogged drain holes. It also usually runs down inside the car and onto the package tray area once it rots up there. I will see if I have a picture of one of them I am thinking of.

Still not sure we will face those same problems. I am sealing this car up better than stock though. Anything I screw under hood is getting sealed up with silicone or some kind of sealant. I don't want any wet carpet. Going to spend the extra time and any clips installed will have something sealing them.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Or you could just paint the top with either POR-15 or Rust Bullet and then apply the vinyl top. You will not get any rust problems with either of these products, trust me.

Back