• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Little Progress

dobie

Reaction score
I finally got around to getting my 3 speed wiper motor fixed and installed. A local guy only charged me $30 to go thru it and fix everything. After getting it back, she hooked right up. There is nothing else needed to convert from a 2 speed to a 3 speed other than the motor and switch. The wiring is all the same. Now, I can run my big air cleaner. :banana: The base is off of a 70-up car. The top is a cheapie fiberglass unit I bought from Year One a long time ago. I just gave it a few quick coats of the spray bomb stuff. Down the road I'll get the correct top and filter element. For now, it's good enough for me.

Don't mind the coolant leak......... :brickwall:

dobie

Reaction score
Also got my tach hooked up. Nothing fancy. Just good enough for me.

3.jpg

dobie

Reaction score
My next few projects will include pulling out my steering column and replacing it with my 4 speed one. I'd also like to get the hood pins and hood finished up.

After that, I have a few ideas................. :devil:

4.jpg

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Lookin' good there Dobie. $30 to fix a wiper motor sounds good. And dosen't it feel good to be making progress and getting things done on the car?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I hate you.....how come you get a big orange air cleaner and I don't........

lookin good Steve. :cheers:
remember me "down the road" when you get the "corect" stuff. I have no problem with the "good enough for me" stuff. that usually just means it's cheaper.

"Dear Santa........."

162422184_o.jpg

dobie

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I was pleasantly surprised with the wiper motor. The guy had it almost 5 weeks. When I finally called him, he indicated that the insides were all gunked up. I guess all of the old grease had solidified into a tar like substance!! Hearing that, I assumed it would be quite expensive.

And Basket, the lid's all yours when the time comes. :cheers:

dobie

Reaction score
Thanks. Actually, it's a '68 RR, so the engine would be turquoise.

(I think.....)

:cheers:

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
Lookin good! Those big orange air cleaners look awesome.... some day I'll get one on there too.

How did you approach the 4 speed swap??? Did you buy a kit or use all vintage stuff?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
dobie said:
Thanks. Actually, it's a '68 RR, so the engine would be turquoise.

(I think.....)

:cheers:

yup. the blue looks good with the green.

dobie

Reaction score
Thanks again. I had a lot of help in reference to the 4 speed swap from my uncle. He knew pretty much everything I had to get, and had made out a nice sized list. After that, I kept calling up Brewer's and bought things a couple hundred dollars at a time. I got lucky in that my uncle had a peddle assembly from a parts car. The hardest thing to find was a bellhousing. I could never find one at either Carlisle or the Nats. If someone had one, the price was near $700!! Finally Brewer's started stocking them, and that was my Xmas present 2 years ago. At this point, I'd still like to find an original shifter. I like the Competition Plus stuff, but I really like the originals. Definitely a shorter throw too.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
might want to think about a Pistol Grip. I had one in my other car, and in my '68 Charger before that. Not correct for pre '70, but it's sweet to row the gears with. I'll have another one.

dobie

Reaction score
Funny you mention that, as I have thought of getting one down the road. At this point though, I'd be happy with just an original shifter.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
dobie....looking good....go with the blow proof bellhousing....if you do make sure you align the bell with the crank...man i sold 2 stock bellhousing on ebay last year

dobie

Reaction score
The car came with a blow proof housing. Due to alignment issues, and not knowing the true specs on the engine, I decided to go with a stock unit. I had called Lakewood and asked their advice on what to due. They wanted to know the measurements of the crank, which I had no clue about. Then, they asked 50 other questions I couldn't answer. In the end, it was far easier to go with a stock bellhousing. I ended up selling the blowproof one to help pay for the stock one.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
dobie said:
The car came with a blow proof housing. Due to alignment issues, and not knowing the true specs on the engine, I decided to go with a stock unit. I had called Lakewood and asked their advice on what to due. They wanted to know the measurements of the crank, which I had no clue about. Then, they asked 50 other questions I couldn't answer. In the end, it was far easier to go with a stock bellhousing. I ended up selling the blowproof one to help pay for the stock one.

when i did the first engine in my car....383....in the boxes was a lakewood bell.....did the dial indicator trick to set it up and worked fine....then having all that fun bang shifting...blowing up 3... 883 trannys i went 727 and now color me gone....john cope racing trans....good for 1200hp.....he is the man

Back