• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Little tech help please

meepbeep69

Reaction score
I am finishing up purchasing the last few items so I can start assembling the car.

The car was initially a 383 bench 4 speed car. Now it will have a .040 over 440 9.7 to 10:1, 1.5 comp rockers, guts stock six pack build, edelbrock rpm small chamber heads, comp xtreme .510 240 246 duration cam, tti 178 headers and a 2.5 H pipe exhaust, 3.90 posi all fresh.

It's purpose is to be a driver, cruiser and take an occasional strip trip maybe once or twice a year. Locally we have the Mopar Ford shootout so My son and I will have a little fun.

I have in the box a Mopar performance orange electronic ecu and wire kit. The distributor from the kit is in the block. The engine shop will dyno the engine and tweak it early next week. It currently has a Performer RPM manifold that apparently is too tall so I will not be able to close the hood. Glad I thought of that before I bought that!! :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

It looks like we will have to pull that manifold and replace it with a Torker II or a Street Dominator with a drop base air cleaner. That way I will be able to close the hood.

The engine shop has been trying to steer me away from using the Mopar Performance kit by saying it will not do well on the high end.

MSD was suggested but I do not know if I shelling out another $600 for a distrib, wires and box would be money well spent given my application.

I have questions on what other items to get. Part numbers will help.

I need an alternator, starter, coil and voltage regulator. Which ones do you guys recommend given the above build?

Is the MP electronic unit a dog and I just don't know it yet? I bought it probably six years ago so if I have to lose it it won't hurt as much as if I bought it yesterday.

Then with the alternator I see single field or dual field. More Manx Gaelic talk!! I hear if I do not watch myself on this at idle I might look like I have a six volt system.

Friends who race are suggesting power master etc but I am thinking Pep Boys, Advance Auto, NAPA, or Auto zone. This car might see about 500 miles a year. Plus the only numbers that match are on the trunk lip, core support and dash. So an $800 numbers matching starter is not in the equation.

Lend me a hand here and think Wine taste on an imported beer budget. That is unless the old adage "you get what you pay for" comes quick into play. Then I will dig a little deeper into my pocket. Let me know the landmines out there and which ones to stay away from please.

Be gracious and many thanks for your help.

moparchris

Reaction score
meepbeep69 said:
I am finishing up purchasing the last few items so I can start assembling the car.

The car was initially a 383 bench 4 speed car. Now it will have a .040 over 440 9.7 to 10:1, 1.5 comp rockers, guts stock six pack build, edelbrock rpm small chamber heads, comp xtreme .510 240 246 duration cam, tti 178 headers and a 2.5 H pipe exhaust, 3.90 posi all fresh.

It's purpose is to be a driver, cruiser and take an occasional strip trip maybe once or twice a year. Locally we have the Mopar Ford shootout so My son and I will have a little fun.

I have in the box a Mopar performance orange electronic ecu and wire kit. The distributor from the kit is in the block. The engine shop will dyno the engine and tweak it early next week. It currently has a Performer RPM manifold that apparently is too tall so I will not be able to close the hood. Glad I thought of that before I bought that!! :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

It looks like we will have to pull that manifold and replace it with a Torker II or a Street Dominator with a drop base air cleaner. That way I will be able to close the hood.

The engine shop has been trying to steer me away from using the Mopar Performance kit by saying it will not do well on the high end.

MSD was suggested but I do not know if I shelling out another $600 for a distrib, wires and box would be money well spent given my application.

I have questions on what other items to get. Part numbers will help.

I need an alternator, starter, coil and voltage regulator. Which ones do you guys recommend given the above build?

Is the MP electronic unit a dog and I just don't know it yet? I bought it probably six years ago so if I have to lose it it won't hurt as much as if I bought it yesterday.

Then with the alternator I see single field or dual field. More Manx Gaelic talk!! I hear if I do not watch myself on this at idle I might look like I have a six volt system.

Friends who race are suggesting power master etc but I am thinking Pep Boys, Advance Auto, NAPA, or Auto zone. This car might see about 500 miles a year. Plus the only numbers that match are on the trunk lip, core support and dash. So an $800 numbers matching starter is not in the equation.

Lend me a hand here and think Wine taste on an imported beer budget. That is unless the old adage "you get what you pay for" comes quick into play. Then I will dig a little deeper into my pocket. Let me know the landmines out there and which ones to stay away from please.

Be gracious and many thanks for your help.

I can offer some insight on your ignition questions. I have run the MP ignition and the full compliment MSD as well. I have also run a hybrid of the two. First off the MSD multi spark box is second to none. Easy starts and will light diesel fuel (dont ask me how i know this, I will just say that I may have owned the first diesel powered 68 Roadrunner). If I was on a budget I would use the MP distributor and MSD box. The beauty of the MSD distributor is that the ignition curve (mechanical) is adjustable not only when it advances but by how much. The MP unit does not. If you are running an automatic I would lock out the distributor anyways (no advance you set your total advance at idle). To convert your MP unit to run an MSD box you have to cut your wires on your distributor and install the MSD plug, which will enable your dyno operator to plug his MSD box into your motor. I forgot which wires go where but its pretty easy since its only two wires. All in all the MP ignition kit works and is reliable, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. The MSD is much better though.

As far as the Performer RPM not fitting, well I had it on my Roadrunner and it fit with a mile of room. I used the stock air cleaner even. I would consider looking around and seeing if anyone else is using that intake. The single plane intake will work but it will not be as robust in the lower RPMs as a dual plane will be.

Thats all I got so good luck to you.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How do you know that the RPM Air Gap is too tall? Did you read ths somewhere? I have the SB version on two of my 340s and love them. When tested on a SB they provided the best all around performance of all of the single and dual plane single-four intakes tested; assume the results would be similar on an RB but don't have any first-hand experience with them. Maybe searching for just the right air cleaner will save you from having to invest in another intake. John McGowan should have some good input here for you - he's previously posted the link on the B/RB intake testing several times on here.

I run the MoPar electronic ignitions on several of my cars. No issues whatsoever on the street. If you were building a mountain motor like George's I'd tell you to start assembling the MSD components. For your intended usage it should be just fine. I ran one with a chrome box on my red 340 Duster for years. It had nearly 14 to 1 compression and a .572"/296 Racer Brown solid bumpstick with 1.6 rockers. I routinely shifted that thing at 7,800-8,000 and I never had any ignition issues (broke a couple of outer valve springs - but never suffered an ignition failure) at an RPM level far above what your combo will ever see.

I have a Mallory 29216 coil on the gold '74 Duster with a 340 and the MoPar ignition. 51K volts and it fits the stock coil bracket. Designed for usage with just this type of system. And if you didn't know already, Mallory produces the MoPar ignition systems - so of course they are compatible.

Stock alternators on all of my MoPar stuff. Someone else needs to chime in here.

Starters. Ah yes. Great topic. You're opening Pandora's Box in this group. On one side you have the "world is flat crowd" that loves the nasally sound of a MoPar V8 turning over at 4 RPM because that's how they came and on the other side you'll find the "GPS crowd" that recognizes that technology has improved in the last 40+ years and there's no need to subject oneself to that torture. Personally, I have a GPS... :lol: I have two different PowerMaster Mopar mini starters that I have used. LOVE THEM both. Suggest you take a peak at Summit or Jegs and determine how much you want to spend. Single best upgrade I ever made to any of my MoPars other than disk brake conversions...

:cents:

:jester:
ACME

mcmopar

Reaction score
I told him the RPM is too tall because I'm running it on my 383 and have to use a drop base air cleaner assembly just to get about 1/2" of hood clearance. Being that the 440 engine (which is what he's running) is 3/4" taller than the 383 well, do the math. I can't run my stock air cleaner assembly with the 383 engine and Performer RPM intake - won't work with a stock steel hood - I know this from first hand experience, unless you want to run a 1" tall filter element which is not highly recommended.
As for the starter - well, just march yourself down to any parts store and get a mid-late '90's model mini starter for a 318 V8 or 3.5 V6 and you're good to go. It will bolt right up.
Chris - are you sure you had the RPM and not the standard Performer? I have run the Performer also and it does fit with a lot of room but unless You had a bubble hood I can't see how the RPM fit in there with the standard air cleaner assembly unless you ran a real short air filter.

BTW - check out the 440 intake comparison here:
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...manifold_engine_and_rpm_range_test/index.html
383 fans can check out this extensive intake comparison here:
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_0712_mopar_intake_manifold_comparo/index.html
I think some of the results may be surprising to some. I personally ran a Torker on a swapped in 440 in my first road runner in the late '70's - early '80's and can attest to the fact that is is a very fine intake - easily on par with some of the better dual planes. Plus, when coupled to a small 600 cfm Holley (stock 350 HP cam as used in the Fury GT) the combo picked up 2 mpg IN TOWN!

Roadcuda

Reaction score
mac said:
i have been looking into a pertronix conversion for the ignition system. it seems simple enough and will look stock in appearance. you can only convert a stock distributor not a MP version and you will have to bypass the ballast. the system needs a constant 12v.

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor2/default.aspx
I installed this one in my car last fall. I don't have a lot of miles on it yet, but the car does seem to run better with it and starts with more authority then before. Sometimes it seems that as soon as I turn the key it starts right up! iAnd, it was very easy to install.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
mac said:
i have been looking into a pertronix conversion for the ignition system. it seems simple enough and will look stock in appearance. you can only convert a stock distributor not a MP version and you will have to bypass the ballast. the system needs a constant 12v.

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor2/default.aspx
I installed this one in my car last fall. I don't have a lot of miles on it yet, but the car does seem to run better with it and starts with more authority then before. Sometimes it seems that as soon as I turn the key it starts right up! iAnd, it was very easy to install.

this is what i want to hear. they even have one available for the 41 buick!!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
well just type "THe World is Flat" above my aviater. I love the sound of the gear reduction starter. and untill I have problems that haven't crept up 30years, I'll go flat.... :beep: Just like I woun't use the new fangled remote controll for my 60+ year old Lionels.. Tha's about as little help as I can be.......

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I like the MSD/ MP distributor combo. Can't beat it for bang for the buck.

As for alternators, the real upgrade is in the regulator. You want to get away from the old points style regualtor. You can go a couple ways. One is to go with a dual field alternator and electronic regulator from a 70 or newer Roadrunner. Its a good way, but it doesn't look stock and there is no performance upgrade. The dual field alternator does not charge any more then a single field. You will have to use a later model wiring harness too.

The other alternative is a single field alternator (stock) with an electonic regualtor. You can use a Duaralst VR706 regulator and the stock wiring harness. I'm putting a "stealth" cover on mine.
http://69roadrunner.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88&p=723

There are also other aftermarket stock appearing regulators with electronic internals available.

I happen to like the starter whine from a vintage Mopar starter. The starter is easy to repair, cheap, plentiful and powerful enough to get the job done. It is heavier and larger, but so what. It sounds like a Mopar starter. Its a manly sound.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
well just type "THe World is Flat" above my aviater. I love the sound of the gear reduction starter. and untill I have problems that haven't crept up 30years, I'll go flat.... :beep: Just like I woun't use the new fangled remote controll for my 60+ year old Lionels.. Tha's about as little help as I can be.......
I'm with you Dave, I like the sound of the old ones :beep:

meepbeep69

Reaction score
Well the Street Dominator will be here in the morning. I will pick it up on Thursday and drop it off on Friday and hopefully listen to some runs next week. I also found a drop base that drops about 1.125 inches from the mount versus the up .375 inches on the unsilenced. I will be able to pick up then 1.5 inches so hopefully no nick in the hood.

What is your guess on the HP and torque?

Thanks on the voltage regulator.

I heard today from the local speed shop parts guy who runs a mid 8 motor car I did not need a voltage regulator. I had not heard that one before. I do like the idea of the hiding bit with the black box.

Getting the single field alternator from a Mopar guy who is in to the early 63-64 models. Plus he is giving me a starter for cost of two sandwiches. I will also buy a mini starter just in case and put the headers on with bolts.

Know anyone who needs an RPM Performer for pennies on the dollar? A little dusty but never used.

Thanks again.

moparchris

Reaction score
Chris - are you sure you had the RPM and not the standard Performer? I have run the Performer also and it does fit with a lot of room but unless You had a bubble hood I can't see how the RPM fit in there with the standard air cleaner assembly unless you ran a real short air filter.
I am very sure that it was a performer RPM. I also ran a stock air cleaner with a stock element. :huh:

moparmoose3

Reaction score
meepbeep69 said:
Well the Street Dominator will be here in the morning. I will pick it up on Thursday and drop it off on Friday and hopefully listen to some runs next week. I also found a drop base that drops about 1.125 inches from the mount versus the up .375 inches on the unsilenced. I will be able to pick up then 1.5 inches so hopefully no nick in the hood.

I heard today from the local speed shop parts guy who runs a mid 8 motor car I did not need a voltage regulator. I had not heard that one before. I do like the idea of the hiding bit with the black box.

Getting the single field alternator from a Mopar guy who is in to the early 63-64 models. Plus he is giving me a starter for cost of two sandwiches. I will also buy a mini starter just in case and put the headers on with bolts.

Know anyone who needs an RPM Performer for pennies on the dollar? A little dusty but never used.

Thanks again.
hey i run the holley street dominator on my 440 and man is it nice. you'll love it. :thumbsup:

moparmoose3

Reaction score
meepbeep69 said:

Thanks again.
hey i run the holley street dominator on my 440 and man is it nice. you'll love it. :thumbsup:

meepbeep69

Reaction score
Chris,

Is there a 440 under your hood?

Mopar moose........would the 440, 750 Holley DP and the unsilenced fit under a standard hood? I see the six pack style on your avitar????

Back