• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for '69 Hemi RR RM23J9A305304

bobcal

Reaction score
This was a car I purchased from the original owner in 1984. Originally sold by Clark Motors, State College, PA., where it stayed. They couldn't sell the car until well into 1970, as insurance was pricey for young buyers, as was the sticker price. As I recall it was a very late build, probably one of the last Hemi's built in '69. A well known music professor at Penn State, age 52, finally made the purchase, deeply discounted. He drove it 76,000 miles before his passing in 1982. During his ownership, he had the dealer install a larger capacity oil pan, air conditioning (a Chrysler Corp underdash unit, using modified 440 components, necessitating the use of '68 style round chrome air cleaner), '70 Rally wheels, and a '70 hydraulic lifter cam. He and his wife traveled all over in the summers, even driving up Pikes Peak. He also had the black vinyl top replaced with white vinyl to help keep the interior cooler. It was R4 red, black bucket interior, auto with console, power steering, rear defrost, 3.55 rear, lower sill trim molding. It ran so well I drove it home 275 miles to our home in CT., in 90 degree weather, with the A/C on! It needed body and paint work, yet mechanically was entirely trouble free, and still ferocious.

Foolishly, for some forgotten financial reason, I sold it around 1992. I heard the guy who bought it stripped some original parts off, (carbs), gave the rear quarters a quick mud job, and flipped it to a guy in Long Island, NY. This guy found my name somewhere in the car, and called me one day to report the carbs had caught fire, and he was fed up with the car and did I want to buy it back. Sadly, I opted to pass, and lost touch with it.

This car had an interesting history and I've often wondered if it was saved or stripped, junked, whatever. I can't find it on any registries, so I thought I'd throw it out here and see if anyone has come across it. Thanks for any leads

Budnicks

I will apologize to everyone in advance
Reaction score
sorry no info on your car,

good luck I hope you find it, it'll be a daunting task for sure

BabyBlue68

Reaction score
I have been searching for your car as well. I grew up in State College, where my father was a lifelong customer of Clark Motor Company. I sat behind the wheel of "Olin Butt's Hemi" as we locals referred to it back then, the day it came off the car carrier. My dad was shopping for a new Valiant in the fall of 1969, and Bill Clark had to make room in the showroom, where the car later occupied a place of honor until Olin became the first owner. After he passed, I desparately wanted the car, but the asking price was out of my range at the time, and instead, I purchased the '68 GTX that I still own today. I also tried to buy Bill Clark's 1969 demonstrator GTX, but he never would sell it to me. I located the current owner on that one, and he declined a very serious offer seven years ago. Like you, I sold my car in the early 90's, but later found it, and bought it back in 2013. It was featured in Mopar Collector's Guide, may 2014.

I was seriously trying to locate this car to purchase, but I would not want to get in a bidding war if you still want it back. At a class reunion, I ran into another roadrunner owner, whom I graduated from State High with, who used to hang around with Rob Clark(Bill's son). He said Rob tried to buy your car from the guy in Long Island, but gave him a lowball offer. It supposedly ended up in Oklahoma.

A youtube video led to me being reunited with my GTX. I recognized the VIN, and called the fellow I bought in from in '83. He later got a call from the current owner, he sold the car to me a year later. Clark Motor Company also sold an A12 Roadrunner that was a clone to your car. It supposedly is still in the State College area, but hidden.

The guy in Long Island placed an ad in Hemmings in 1996. I got your VIN from the ad and found your post here. His phone number was 516-546-5979. If he's still around, you might be able to pick up the trail. I'm also in contact with Rob Clark, as we both still live in State College. He still has the original spare tire from your trunk, as well as the dealer invoice. Please let me know how you make out, and if I can be of futher help. leosadam@yahoo.com

69Hurstsc

Reaction score
Did anyone ever follow up with the seller in 96?

Back