Lots of Questions!??

Mopar383

Reaction score
My dad just picked up a 68 roadrunner, it has a 383 and a 4 speed trans. where are all the numbers that are suppose to match? i know the last 8 of the vin should be stamped on the block is it on the trans to? also when doing a restoration is it important too keep it the original color it metallic turquoise. last but not least where is a good place to find parts?

twinscrew698

Reaction score

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
A lot of questions.....

Some think it's important to keep to original color, some don't care. Since that's a turquoise car, I would keep the color as it's not very common and when done right, they look great in that color.

Finding parts? Depends on the part... Ebay can be good for some bits and pieces. For repop sheet metal, AMD wins hands down. We all have favorite suppliers for different part groups.

tallhair

Reaction score
My 68 Coronet R/T has the number stamped at the top of the 727 bell housing and directly opposite on the top center of the back of the motor. The SPD of my car was 11 Sep 1967 which is fairly early. It also has the 150 speed vs 1 - 15, slider / padded ashtray, and incorrectly marked water temp gauge if anyone is interested in those things.

Do you have a Fender tag? If so what is the color code? LL1? That is a beautiful and quite rarish color esp since most people paint all RRs that aren't originally Red;, Red, Hemi Orange, B5, or Lime green it seems.

Last edited:

tallhair

Reaction score
BTW There are a lot of sales this weekend on the big reproduction websites btw. Dante's has 25% off interiors and free shipping over $250 :)

I'll post some pics in my profile thread BC.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
nice! a guy I was friends with bought a '68 440 when we were just out of school. 318/auto triple green. We found a 383 for it,he got it rebuilt,got the car repainted, never drives it.
another guy bought a '68 R/T that we found sitting in a farmers field back in the '80s. Had been sitting since '74. The 440 wa MIA, but the 4 spped and dana were still there, and while the car was rough, it was savable. He rounded up some parts, but never did anything with the car. Last summer when his wife found out he was messing round, she trew him out and sold what was left of the R/T.

inri

Reaction score
nice! a guy I was friends with bought a '68 440 when we were just out of school. 318/auto triple green. We found a 383 for it,he got it rebuilt,got the car repainted, never drives it.
another guy bought a '68 R/T that we found sitting in a farmers field back in the '80s. Had been sitting since '74. The 440 wa MIA, but the 4 spped and dana were still there, and while the car was rough, it was savable. He rounded up some parts, but never did anything with the car. Last summer when his wife found out he was messing round, she trew him out and sold what was left of the R/T.

Great stories!... ...sounds like you need some new friends :acme:

Back