• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lowering the front end

69383RR

Reaction score
I would like to lower the front end a little . I think pinkpanther said he lowered his front end recently which gave me the idea to do the same . I have a general idea but not 100 percent sure . See enclosed pictures where I'm pointing with screwdriver . Do you just turn that bolt ? do you adjust it in the air or on the ground ?

46654003_zps045ff3ba.gif

Last edited:

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Yes that is the bolt you need to turn to adjust your torsion bars. I adjusted mine while it sat on the ground. Before you start you will need to take a measurement at two location on the bottom side of the lower control. See the tech manual under torsion bar adjustment.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Torsion bars, which are a type of spring, support the weight of the vehicle and dictate ride height.

Camber is generally adjusted with the upper control arms. The control arms are fastened to the inner fender structure with through bolts that are attached to eccentric cams. The cams adjust the arm in or out which changes camber and caster.

Before you start tweaking things, establish ride height first, then caster, camber and lastly toe. Ride height is adjusted with the torsion bar adjusters. ....so your alignment may be off when you start raising or lowering

69383RR

Reaction score
Camber is deffenety off . So when I'm happy with ride height , just a little lower that's all I want , Then its off to the tire shop.
Will a tire shop that works on mostly modern cars have any problems aligning this older car ?

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
When i had mine done i brought a manual with me with all the front end specs.....the first thing they do before alignment is adjust the ride height according to the specs in the manual.....then go from there

69383RR

Reaction score
Torsion bars, which are a type of spring, support the weight of the vehicle and dictate ride height.

Camber is generally adjusted with the upper control arms. The control arms are fastened to the inner fender structure with through bolts that are attached to eccentric cams. The cams adjust the arm in or out which changes camber and caster.

Before you start tweaking things, establish ride height first, then caster, camber and lastly toe. Ride height is adjusted with the torsion bar adjusters. ....so your alignment may be off when you start raising or lowering

Thank you , I appreciate the great information and advice.

earlyrides

Reaction score
One thing to be aware of when lowering a “B” body is the amount of available travel between the lower control arm travel stop cushion. (that little triangle thingy) and the upper stop plate.

Depending on how low you go and how stiff your torsion bars and shocks are; the more or less distance that will be needed to keep from bottoming out during normal driving conditions.

I have stiff torsion bars and KYB shocks that limit my front end slushiness so I keep about 1” between the top of the triangle and the plate above it and don't seem to have too much issue.

One way to maintain your correct geometry and get more travel with a lower ride height is to install drop spindles. They can be purchased from Magnum Force for $440.00 / pair

http://www.magnumforce.com/magnumstore/shop/item.aspx?itemid=5

pinkpanthr

Reaction score
Make sure to bounce the car after each adjustment to settle the suspension, and measure both sides after adjusting either. There can be small changes in the opposite side after adjusting one side. Obviously you want both sides to be exactly the same but maximum difference between the two is less than 1/4 inch to maintain proper ride and alignment. Sometimes you have to go back a forth a few times to get it just right.

inri

Reaction score
Be prepared to wait a bit when you have your front end aligned. Chances are you'll get a smart young kid who knows how to work on 90's - today cars, but they'll be taken aback on anything older.

Took the tech over an hour, lots of back and forth lifting the car up and then setting it down again to make sure the front end was aligned. Not a big deal, but don't expect to get in and out. You're not driving a camry.

69383RR

Reaction score
I don't care how long it takes , just want it done right the first time . I will bring the tec manual with me just in case the kid is there .

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
actuyally you weren't the Flordia memeber i was thinking of........

Frenchy.jpg

Back