• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

making the right choice part 2

mac

What ?
Reaction score
well i degreed my cam today and got the results i was sorta hoping for. first getting ready
IMG_1622.jpg

then setting up for TDC on #1
IMG_1623.jpg

setting up the dial indicator
IMG_1625.jpg

getting my degree readings before and after max lift
IMG_1626.jpg
IMG_1628.jpg

doing the math 84+140=224/2=112. the card for the lunati cam says it should be insatlled at 106. i think 6 degrees is enough to cause some issues. now i still have to make a choice to reinstall the current cam or go for the mr six pack cam but at least i got some results that do some explaining of the tuning problems i have experienced.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're entertaining suggestions...

Check it again. And even one more time...if you're anal about these things like I am... I like to rule out the possibility of any errors through repeatable results - just to be sure...

Did you use a TDC finder (piston stop) to ascertain true TDC? The picture has an angle that makes it hard to get the proper perspective - but it looks like the pointer is in line with your timing tape... If you didn't, get one and use it. Don't rely on the harmonic balancer...the outer ring can be off a tad...especially if it's a 40 yr old original...

Once you're certain of the cam's position relative to the crank why not dial this one in and see how it performs? You've already got the adjustable timing gear; so your only out a couple of gaskets and a couple of hours...might be worth it...

:cents:
Ray

mac

What ?
Reaction score
i did use a piston stop while finding TDC and was very happy to that it lined up with the timing tape mark. the finding of the cam center line was done 2 times with the exact same results. i do agree with minimal effort to reset the cam in the car will be the way i am going. so it is off the garage.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Mac:

Where did you score that crazy flexible dial indicator mount? I WANT ONE OF THOSE!

:jester:
Ray

mac

What ?
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Hey Mac:

Where did you score that crazy flexible dial indicator mount? I WANT ONE OF THOSE!

:jester:
Ray

that's a piece i borrowed from work made by KD Tools

mac

What ?
Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
That should be a hand tool.

I will be interested in how it runs at 106

well the cam was redegreed to 105 and the car runs soooo much smoother. but now i have to do some readjusting other settings. i gained 2" of vacuum and throttle response is better and the carb mixture adjusments make sense. also will have to adjust distributor for correct total timing.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
mac said:
SomeCarGuy said:

well the cam was redegreed to 105 and the car runs soooo much smoother. but now i have to do some readjusting other settings. i gained 2" of vacuum and throttle response is better and the carb mixture adjusments make sense. also will have to adjust distributor for correct total timing.
Sounds like your on the right track :thumbsup:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
mac said:
SomeCarGuy said:

You mean the inital timing? What was it at before?

mac

What ?
Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
mac said:
SomeCarGuy said:

You mean the inital timing? What was it at before?

well......both. with the cam being out before trying to get intial timing set that made sense wasn't happening. so now i can set it at 18 and try to get 36 total. obviously changing the cam centerline changed the timing of the distributor.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Great news!

Are you taking your car to Carlisle, Mac?

Ray

no. i head down with 2 friends and a 24 foot trailer loaded with mopar goodies to sell in the vendors area. but i won't say never. maybe someday i will have all the bugs out and make the trip. i am trying to get my one buddies car ready to go for the lift off hood reunion.
006-1.jpg
010.jpg

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
So... tell us a little about that A-12 Bee.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
Big John said:
So... tell us a little about that A-12 Bee.

that's rick from the lift off hood forum (f6bee), one of the mods over there. ever since the body has been done he was sorta afraid to touch the car (didn't want to scratch it), but once he got over that has has been going gang busters on it. he is the guy that had a post on cleaning the drive shaft with evaporust in a pvc tube. rick and i are part of the trio that goes to carlisle evry year. car is f6 bee with black interior and black butt stripe with side scoops. car will be amazing when done. the paint and body work are super clean.

Back