• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mallory EI and ballast resistor

Mike D

Reaction score
What does the ballast resistor do if I run a Mallory EI. Is it still needed?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Ballast resistor drops the voltage down so you don't overheat things like the coil. If it calls for one use it, some don't like HEI but I'm not famialiar with what you have.

jww69rrpost

Reaction score
The ballast resister you are referring to is part of the original stock electrical system where gobs of amps were passed through the amp gauge and would typically be the culprit for under dash fires. Most of us who have significantly upgraded our electronics, including the addition of a volt gauge rather than the amp gauge, no longer need a ballast resister.

Mike D

Reaction score
The ballast resister you are referring to is part of the original stock electrical system where gobs of amps were passed through the amp gauge and would typically be the culprit for under dash fires. Most of us who have significantly upgraded our electronics, including the addition of a volt gauge rather than the amp gauge, no longer need a ballast resister.
What’s done with wires if no longer used?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Hes talking ignition ballast which drops the voltage to the coil not the dash voltage limiter

Mike D

Reaction score
Yes to the coil it’s an Msd blaster2, msd 6 amp ignition control and msd pro billet distributor.

quikbird

Reaction score
Should be a diagram in the instruction manual for the msd box on where to connect all the wires.

jww69rrpost

Reaction score
What’s done with wires if no longer used?
When I redid everything on my 69 Road Runner, it included a complete re-wiring of the entire electrical system (front to back, engine bay and under dash). The shop where the build took place said because it was a complete renovation and upgraded system, everything had changed.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If the ballast is not needed put the wires together or as I just did on a car to keep the stock look I took the resister out of the back of the block and put a heavy copper wire in place and plugged the wires back in.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the ballast is not needed put the wires together or as I just did on a car to keep the stock look I took the resister out of the back of the block and put a heavy copper wire in place and plugged the wires back in.
Exactly what I did on my green Duster. MSD Pro Billet Ready-to-Run distributor. Underhood wiring looks pretty much original but there are 12+ volts going to the distributor.

Back