• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

manual steering box question

sam z

Reaction score
Still batting around the idea of going over to manual steering.
I've read the service manual on rebuilding them just for interest sake.

If I go to Carlisle and pick up a used one, is there any real way to
make a judgement on the condition or if it is ready for use? I'd rather
not pick one up, install it and then hope for the best if there is an
alternative to just keeping your fingers crossed.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sam, here's another thought:

Contact Steer and Gear now and have them bring a remanufactured box to Carlisle earmarked just for you. $450 including core charge. Walk the show, and if you can pick up a junk unit for a few bucks then you can return that to Steer and Gear as your core and get $175 back (minus whatever you pay for the junk unit). Then you know what you have, it's ready to go, and you'll have no worries. :cents:

You will also need a column adapter to pull this off. Power steering column is shorter than the manual steering column.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:

Contact Steer and Gear now and have them bring a remanufactured box to Carlisle earmarked just for you. $450 including core charge. Walk the show, and if you can pick up a junk unit for a few bucks then you can return that to Steer and Gear as your core and get $175 back (minus whatever you pay for the junk unit). Then you know what you have, it's ready to go, and you'll have no worries. :cents:

You will also need a column adapter to pull this off. Power steering column is shorter than the manual steering column.

Man knows what he's talking about :yesnod:

Can't go wrong with Steer & Gear.

Got one of there rebuilts in the Runner now.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
abodybill said:
ACME A12 said:

Man knows what he's talking about :yesnod:

Can't go wrong with Steer & Gear.

Got one of there rebuilts in the Runner now.
I put one of their power steering units in my car and it is so much better, especially on the highway. I don't need to chase it at all to keep it straight.

sam z

Reaction score
Ray...thanks. I was thinking of the same thing, especially surrounding the core charge. I was aware of the
adapter. They seem readily available.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
They are very easy to rebuild yourself. If you can get a look inside of one, look at the lower race. That is the trouble spot and I'm not sure you can change that race.

It really just a few bearsing and seals. The adjustment is where the money is. not a hard deal. Will need an inch pound torque wrench.

Back