• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Master Cylender

TOMRR

Reaction score
1969 RR with manual brakes How does the push rod that (hooks to the brake pedal) pushes the plunger into the Master cylinder come off the plunger ?? I took a Alan bolt off the end of the plunger but no dice, does it just pull out ??

moparmonk

Reaction score
There is a rubber expansion collar in a recessed area of the tip of the push rod. ( A new one usually comes with a reman master cyl). Once it is pushed in the master cyl, it does not like to come out. (otherwise it would be laying on the floor when you need that 100 to 0 stop). I have broke the master cyl before trying. If the master cyl is bad, no worries as it is probably a core anyway. Try putting the rod in a vice and hold it, and then try to pry the master cyl off it lengthwise. Maybe a heat gun in that area may soften up the rubber too? Pry with a big screwdriver or punch that pushes on the center of the master cyl. Be careful not to bend the little triangle piece that holds it in the housing. Let us know!

Last edited:

TOMRR

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply !! I have the rod and plunger out of the Master just can't get the plunger off the rod ?? Should I put rod in a vice and try to pound the plunger part off ??

moparmonk

Reaction score
pinch the rod in the vice tightly with the aluminum plunger off the end of the vice. Wedge your screwdriver (or two, one on each side of the plunger) against the vice and try to pry off the plunger. It will go dry!

TOMRR

Reaction score
Thank You !!!!! Got it

Thanks Again Tom C.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I put the piston in my vice and crush it... It's junk and a new one will come with the rebuild kit or better yet, the new master cylinder. It will break and the push rod will come out easy.

Back