• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Master Cylinder

TOMRR

Reaction score
Need to change the Master Cylinder on my 69 RR , Will I have to Bleed Brakes again ??

Tom C.

TOMRR

Reaction score
Ok on the new Master Cylinder there is a Piston Retainer !! Does that stay on or do you remove before installing MC.

Thanks Tom C

HPIM4608.jpg

Last edited:

RR383

Reaction score
DSCF0645.jpg
Take note of the steel retainer and rubber boot...which btw slides forward on the push rod and then locks over the retainer to provide a sealing area. The retainer on the new or reman MC is only for shipping purposes.
Another word or caution...when removing the retainer be aware the plunger is under spring pressure.

DSCF0645.jpg

TOMRR

Reaction score
View attachment 10744
Take note of the steel retainer and rubber boot...which btw slides forward on the push rod and then locks over the retainer to provide a sealing area. The retainer on the new or reman MC is only for shipping purposes.
Another word or caution...when removing the retainer be aware the plunger is under spring pressure.

Not the same on a 69RR with 11 inch Drums brakes , no Boot and the push rod has a rubber type bushing the locks in in you push rod into MC. I was wondering about the tear shaped piece the is on the back holding the piston . I think it is for keeping it in place so when the brake pedal returns the piston does not come back to far ??

RR383

Reaction score
Not the same on a 69RR with 11 inch Drums brakes , no Boot and the push rod has a rubber type bushing the locks in in you push rod into MC. I was wondering about the tear shaped piece the is on the back holding the piston . I think it is for keeping it in place so when the brake pedal returns the piston does not come back to far ??

I completely understand what you are asking. I have a '70 RR and just went through the same scenario you are just now expriencing. I also have a drum brake car with 11" drums all around. The picture I provided shows exactly what you should have to properly complete the work before you. Irregardless of the year. Do some research.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Mine has the boot and collar 11" manual drum

DSCN0351.jpg

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score

And yes the bushing locks the rod in. I'm guessing it would work with the shipping retainer in place and no boot or boot collar. The boot collar does the same thing the shipping retainer does, it keeps the piston from hyper extending. Your call I like to do it right

Last edited:

RR383

Reaction score
69hemibeep
Was I not clear enough or convincing enough for one of our fellow RR in need who needed some good sound advice?:huh:

TOMRR

Reaction score
Mine has the boot and collar 11" manual drum

I Stand Corrected I just looked under my dash and sure enough there is a rubber boot like your Pic. OPPS:very_drunk:

I What to Thank Every One for all the Advice and help . I sure needed it :victorious:

And as far as the clip on the back that is suppose to stay and not allow the piston to come out any farther when brake pedal is fully released

Last edited:

RR383

Reaction score
I Stand Corrected I just looked under my dash and sure enough there is a rubber boot like your Pic. OPPS:very_drunk:

I What to Thank Every One for all the Advice and help . I sure needed it :victorious:

And as far as the clip on the back that is suppose to stay and not allow the piston to come out any farther when brake pedal is fully released

Once you remove the defective cylinder you will find the retainer that compliments the boot you see from under the dash. It will replace the shipping retainer you're so hung up on...trust us....trust us!!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
There were a couple of guys on moparts steering you in the wrong direction and that muddies the waters. You should get a service manual! That retainer hole is used to hold your boot collar on, you will see on the old one.

Last edited:

TOMRR

Reaction score
RR383 Thank You !! I have run out to my RR 10 Times now and I finely see what you are telling me !! I thought at first that the boot and the retainer bolt to the fire wall but they bolt to the MC. I have not started this project yet but I learned a whole lot so far on here !!!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
unless you have power brakes. or if you have the dash out then it's still a pia.

djais1801

Reaction score
Try getting the brake pedal assembly back together, especially if it's a 4spd like mine...def a 2 person job

Back