• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mecum Auction

A31PKG

Reaction score
There were a few 69 Road Runners on the block in Kissimmee (sp?) last week.... The nicest in my view (not because of the color, just the nicest of the cars that were offered) was lot# S50...A white on white, a/c, auto, with perf hood paint. It went for just a tick over 30K. Not sure what this tells us about prices, maybe they are rebounding a bit? Just wanted to pass it on...

:cheers:

solid gold

Reaction score
My paint, body and rebuild work alone was a tick over that. ( It needed alot) I would hope nobody are building these cars to make any money. I've never made a dime on any car. I had mine built mine for myself - now I know what I have and how it was done. It kinda' makes me wonder how much more money that person will have to spend to make his own. There are some great bargins out there right now-wish I had some extra $$$. :drive: There are over 100 meanings of the words (TOTALLY RESTORED)-so Beware!

A31PKG

Reaction score
It was just an FYI post...

We all know that one NEVER gets out of a car what they put into it, and it's not always about the money either.

That said, the Mecum auctions tend to be be more "real world" than BJ, that's all....

As Road Runner folks, we do like to keep tabs on things like this...at least I do....

solid gold

Reaction score
Sorry for going off the deep end on an FYI thread. I apologize. Mecum Auctions are more real world. I guess BJ was on my mind. Bidding against Rick Hendrick is not on the working mans' mind. Sometimes you just have to vent. I have all of the Mecums DVR'ed. Have not watched them yet. Maybe I didn't know EVERYBODY knew. :grouphug:

A31PKG

Reaction score
It's all good brutha....

Yes, folks with large coin don't do the hobby any favors... Mecum is geared more towards us reg'lar folk...
For what you pay for a seat and a beer at BJ, you can actually leave with a decent car at Mecum!

:thumbsup:

chapdog105

Reaction score
I see where Solid Gold is coming from...

It seems like you could buy a project car, and do a restoration on your own terms at or less than $30k.
Doing the resto yourself would make you personally (and financially) invested in the car, and also have a sense of accomplishment.
On top of that, you would also know everything little thing about the car, as well as the car's problems.

Maybe some guys just want to drop a bunch of cash and enjoy the car hassle and commitment free. Hopefully I'll always be broke enough to never become "that guy".

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
for what some of these cars are selling for you couldn't build it for that price......a buyers markets out there :D

sam z

Reaction score
I'll say it once, I'll say it a thousand times, like it or not.

There "average" guy was quickly removed (or damned near close) from this hobby due to a few things:
cable tv auction shows and baby boomers with a ton of home equity credit in the middle of
the previous decade.

Not trying to offend anyone here, I'm not an expert, its just my opinion. Most of your cars are much
nicer than mine. Just own the car and enjoy it.

Here in impoverished Buffalo, we don't have a lot of people that have the means to be a "collector."
Perhaps some of you live in parts of the country where this is still possible, not here.

Sorry, just had to share that.

mcmopar

Reaction score
sam z said:
I'll say it once, I'll say it a thousand times, like it or not.

There "average" guy was quickly removed (or damned near close) from this hobby due to a few things:
cable tv auction shows and baby boomers with a ton of home equity credit in the middle of
the previous decade.

Not trying to offend anyone here, I'm not an expert, its just my opinion. Most of your cars are much
nicer than mine. Just own the car and enjoy it.

Here in impoverished Buffalo, we don't have a lot of people that have the means to be a "collector."
Perhaps some of you live in parts of the country where this is still possible, not here.

Sorry, just had to share that.

I'm with you Sam. Mine's not a "collectable" by any stretch of the imagination. I knew when I got it back that it wouldn't compete in a car show but that's ok. It still turns heads on the road and gets praises at the gas station and at the various cruises I get to go to when funds allow. That to me is my trophy!

A31PKG

Reaction score
I was not implying anything... just thought it interesting...

I guess threads about values are taboo around here.... sorry for rattling nerves....

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A31PKG said:

I guess threads about values are taboo around here.... sorry for rattling nerves....
I think values are part of the hobby weather it be good or bad up or down, we all shop for parts which don't seem to drop in price at least new stuff and that is all pegged to production cost and what you think your car deserves. Are you going to make money on a none numbers car that needs all kind of sheet metal? No but you do it for the love of the hobby, the drive, and if and when you sell your hoping for some sort of value. Face it, we are not after the same cars that the Pratts and Hendricks of the world are dropping millions on anyways. If there are only 14 of anything made when we were younger they have been collected be it comic books or baseball cards. :cents:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
A31PKG said:

never say your sorry and dont worry about what anybody thinks.....screw them :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A31PKG said:

Unless I am missing something here I don't think anyone has their panties bunched. Just a open discussion from what I'm reading...

I think the points raised about being in it for the love of the cars versus their value are the most poignant points raised. In the case of Solid Gold maybe there is more money tied up in it than could be garnered on the auction block in this depressed market. And if so, so what? It wasn't built for resale, he knows everything that has gone into its construction and the quality of the build, and the finished product is beautiful. At some point I will likely personally relate to all of these points - as I bought Bambi just BEFORE the market tanked so my starting point isn't the greatest from a purely dollar-driven perspective. I likely won't be hopelessly upside down when she's finished, but in the end it doesn't really matter to me; I didn't buy her to flip her.

george68hemirr

Reaction score
ray.....you are soooo right......X2..same here
buildm/drivem/abusem/enjoym....thats me in my time machine :drive: :drive: :drive: :drive:

A31PKG

Reaction score
Just offering info on a nice 383 car that sold at a non-BJ auction...

Did not intend to start a "love vs. value" debate...

carry on...

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A31PKG said:
Just offering info on a nice 383 car that sold at a non-BJ auction...

Did not intend to start a "love vs. value" debate...

carry on...
But that's what we are best at, exchange of thoughts and ideas are squashed by political correctness every where you go. If you throw something against the wall and it sticks and gets us going, great. As long as its not a personal attack :thumbsup:

sam z

Reaction score
A lot of good points. I can be fairly opinionated at times and I usually get a little
fired up when this comes up, whether on this forum or just in a conversation. I don't know
why.

My gut feeling says that I just don't care for ridiculous greed. To me, greed means
you want something for nothing.

Enough said.

mcmopar

Reaction score
A31PKG said:

Not sure I get your point but it's no biggie here. As far as I can tell your'e all good bro. :thumbsup:

Back