• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Memorial Day.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Well, it is here again and off the beach and having fun. Having the time off from work or just cooking out in the back yard with friends. But I take a pause and talk with my grandchildren about what this day is all about. The brave Men and Women that gave up so much so we can enjoy our freedom. I just wonder if we are losing it peace by peace. But in honor of our fallen heroes, I pray we all will take more pride and interest in keeping our country grate. So, fly our flag high and take a knee for those who are no longer with us. God bless America. OIP (1).jpg

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score

For a while people were "celebrating" Memorial day.
It was creeping into popular ignorance.
I first noticed it in a Macy's ad in 2004.
Next about 2 years later.
"Celebrate Memorial Day with a new Green Egg".
Finally, I heard talk radio making the correction a couple of years ago.
1685353423608.png
My father commanded 3 ships in WW2 and said Memorial Day was like his wedding anniversary.
An observance, not a celebration.

Another thing which was starting to happen recently was the conflation of living veterans with Memorial day.
Lumping them all together.
Living veterans have another day.
Just watched a youtube video and someone made that correct distinction.

We can't rewrite or know how history would be different.
I'm wondering if WW2 would have happened if American had not gotten involved in The Great War.
Follow the money trail on that one .
1685353330326.png

In Flanders Fields
In Flanders Fields, the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
During a fire fight in the jungle led us to an open field. Instead of making our way around the field we were led across the field by our leader. Took fire from different sides and took a bomb hole for a fox hole to gather up our strategy. Held by sniper fire and running low on ammo. We knew that there would be more Vc. coming. Our group leader was on the handheld radio call in for support. No one was coming so we were told. Laying in a muddy hole and firing at the snipers. Somewhere praying and others were talking of what was to come. We had one guy that said he was a non believe in God many times and I saw he was praying also. When asked why he was praying he stated that if it will help then may God help us. Out of nowhere we got the word two jet fighters were in our 10. They laied down suppressive fire and gave us a chance to clear the field and make our way back out to safety. So, to all the people out there saying this and that. Let me say I would love to have you in a Fox hole with live fire coming in with a chance of being killed and no way out. Let's see how they would feel now. In the end that atheist found himself a small New Testament bible and carried it with him every day.

Back