• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MIG welding tips? George?

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
so pretty but takes forever.....i am so used to go-go-go......dont have time for that slow process.....whatever

peresvet24

Reaction score
this is an interesting post!

thank you George, Chris!

it was good advice :thumbsup:

I am also self-taught, "semi-automatic welding" I was watching YouTube, and then I did some time to practice.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Did he kick it or hit it with a hammer to see if the welds were good??

Sorry.... Couldn't resist...

peresvet24

Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
metalstorm said:
I have been using my sears 110v mig lately to weld some headers and I have not used the welder for 8yrs I would say but my biggest problem is patience.I have to learn some on doing back gass in the tubes when I finish welding them or they will crack I am told.
Here's my :cents: . I'm a welder by trade and have been for a couple decades now. I tig,mig,stick , aluminum, stainless, steel. So IMO I have a pretty good background. Now when I say what I'm about to say I'm not saying anyone is wrong. But in realty purging pipe is typically done in high purity applications,ie: food and pharmaceutical . It may also depend on the substrate being welded,I don't think you're fabricating titanium headers.I truly believe that if you use the correct filler metal, no backing gas will be needed. Keep everything clean and tight and you'll be successful

:thumbsup:
while I welds the "semi-automatic welding" with no gas and welding seam was very durable!
I hit it with a hammer and it did not fall apart.

Back