• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Might have to pull the engine out again

nicanor

Reaction score
The engine has plenty of hp/tq for street use but the engine makes noise when depressing the clutch. Rebuilt trans and all new clutch parts. A local engine/MOPAR shop sounds like it can be the engine thrust bearing.

Any thoughts? How fast should I pull the engine?

Thanks,
Barry

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
If you really think it's the thrust bearing I would pull the pan or trans and bell housing to check end play first. You can get allot of noise out of a clutch and pressure plate especially if your hyper extending it

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
If you really think it's the thrust bearing I would pull the pan or trans and bell housing to check end play first. You can get allot of noise out of a clutch and pressure plate especially if your hyper extending it
thats what i would do too :thumbsup:

moparchris

Reaction score
You can have an answer in a few minutes. I would have someone depress the clutch while you look at the harmonic balancer. If you can see it move you have thrust bearing/crank issues. I would totally suspect the throw out bearing. I have had new ones fresh out of the box be noisy (knocking sounds). I would hesitate to pull the engine since thrust bearings dont blow up engines. When I was a mechanic I would see .250 play regularly. As a matter of fact most high mileage stick cars the thrust is junk since newer cars have to have the clutch pedal depressed when starting (no oil pressure).

nicanor

Reaction score
Had my son depress the clutch about 10 times and I felt no movement in the harmonic balancer. What step should I do next?

Thanks,
Barry

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
nicanor said:
Had my son depress the clutch about 10 times and I felt no movement in the harmonic balancer. What step should I do next?

Thanks,
Barry
i would remove the inspection pan off the bottom of the bellhousing and take a look at you throwout bearing

nicanor

Reaction score
I also think it could be in that area. The noise was there when I bought the car and the engine was supposingly rebuilt and had a bad lifter. the lifter ground down and also the cam putting metal in the oil. So after the engine was rebuilt, I put a new clutch throw out bearing and had the flywheel resurfaced. But the same noise is still there when I depress the clutch.

Thanks for the help,
Barry

moparchris

Reaction score
Alright, now that we know that the thrust is still good. Lets move on. First use a srew driver to your ear and try to pin point the sound by putting the screw driver handle to your ear and the tip on various parts. When the clutch pedal is depressed the input shaft of the trans stops and the pilot bearing and throw out bearing are the two items that are "working". Did you change the pilot bushing/ bearing? Also which bellhousing do you have? Did you check the alignment of the bellhousing to the motor. This will put pressure on the T.O. bearing and the pilot bearing.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
Alright, now that we know that the thrust is still good. Lets move on. First use a srew driver to your ear and try to pin point the sound by putting the screw driver handle to your ear and the tip on various parts. When the clutch pedal is depressed the input shaft of the trans stops and the pilot bearing and throw out bearing are the two items that are "working". Did you change the pilot bushing/ bearing? Also which bellhousing do you have? Did you check the alignment of the bellhousing to the motor. This will put pressure on the T.O. bearing and the pilot bearing.
With all your money do I need to buy you a stethoscope fore your birthday :jester:

moparchris

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
moparchris said:
With all your money do I need to buy you a stethoscope fore your birthday :jester:
Yes please and while your at it can you have a naughty nurse show me how to use it?

moparstuart

Reaction score
moparchris said:
69hemibeep said:
moparchris said:
Yes please and while your at it can you have a naughty nurse show me how to use it?
maybe one of those from that heart attack burger place :jester: :jester: :drool: :drool: :drool:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:
That burger place died

Really???

Forgot to ask you about that when we were out there...

Where is my "Dammit Tool"....??? :lol:
Actually the owner died and took it down with him, I think it had run it's coarse anyway.

moparstuart

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:
That burger place died

Really???

Forgot to ask you about that when we were out there...

Where is my "Dammit Tool"....??? :lol:
Actually the owner died and took it down with him, I think it had run it's coarse anyway.
Well bummer Oh well i couldnt have eaten there anyway with out needing a real nurse

heart attackimages.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I'm telling you, I'm healthy as a horse and a single had me feeling bad. They even dipped the buns in melted lard, I was eating my burger and just finishing covered in grease and the tv switches to the kitchen cam showing the buns getting dipped :puke:

Back