• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Missing 1968 Plymouth Road Runner Fender Tag

moparmusclecars

Reaction score
Missing fender tag. Would like to get another from maybe trim tags. I do not have a build sheet. Only thing I see is my car is a 383, 4 speed 68 Road Runner in LL1 turquoise. Nothing special here, It is a two door post car. Other than that I see nothing special. I would have to assume the trim tag would be pretty simple on one of these. Not sure what standard rear end was. 323 I assume. I am not trying to fake anything, just looks stupid with no fender tag on it. Someone along the way lost it. Black interior car. I see nothing special on this car, other than maybe the color of it (if that means anything). Any help with what the tag should look like? I thought bottom line would be something like this reading from the left side. A few of these like build date and shipping order are just made up for purpose of laying out a tag.

RM21=RR coupe (post)
E63=383-4 bbl
3=4 speed
?=tire size (wasn't F70-14's standard on a 383 car in 68?)
514=scheduled build date
371623=shipping order number

Line 2 from bottom:

5=drip moldings
AX= not sure (323's I assume?)
Trm=not sure black bench seat car (nothing fancy)
PNT=LL1 Surf Turquoise Metallic

U=(upper door frame paint black)? I don't know the code for black
I don't think anything else, as there is no stripes on this car.

Third line up:
R1=am radio
X2=tinted windshield (i think it is tinted) Was tinted standard?
no vinyl roof
has a bench seat so not sure of that code, and if it should be on the tag.

I am sure this tag would look pretty skimpy, to say the least. Also, i have no clue what plant this car would have been built at. Does the vin number offer any clue? I would just like to have a body tag made, and I know it has nothing special on it. Anyone able to assist with ideas or thoughts? Does have trunk finish panel.

Last edited:

Ranger

Reaction score
I believe you are correct in that the 3:23 was the standard rear end. Likewise with the F70/14's. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You will never get it right and just cause more suspicion. I would get one made that says "Do you know where my tag is" 7th digit in the vin is the plant

A31PKG

Reaction score
In 68, the VIN only appears on the dash tag, engine, & trans. So your first challenge is to mate the data tag with the VIN. This can only be done with a build sheet, window sticker, or MSO (manufacturers statement of origin) since those documents will have both numbers (shipping & VIN) displayed. After that, even with careful forensics, it's a roll of the dice...

Last edited:

moparchris

Reaction score
I thought 68s had the serial part of the VIN on them as well as the SO. The SO was on the radiator support and trunk lip. Thats how you match the car with the VIN. I had a 68 Hemi Charger and thats how I figured out if the VIN belonged to the car. Oh and just a side note a repproduction fender tag will always be ear marked as suspicious. With that said I would never have one made myself because it just doesnt matter to me that much. If the car had the original tag then that means a whole lot to me. If your concerned about the engine compartment looking "funny" then like Bob said have a tag made but make it say something clever. Maybe something like this.

DON TLO OKH ERE
THE ORI GIN ALT AGI
SMI SSI NG 100000

Last edited:

A31PKG

Reaction score
I thought 68s had the serial part of the VIN on them as well as the SO. The SO was on the radiator support and trunk lip. Thats how you match the car with the VIN. I had a 68 Hemi Charger and thats how I figured out if the VIN belonged to the car. Oh and just a side note a repproduction fender tag will always be ear marked as suspicious. With that said I would never have one made myself because it just doesnt matter to me that much. If the car had the original tag then that means a whole lot to me. If your concerned about the engine compartment looking "funny" then like Bob said have a tag made but make it say something clever. Maybe something like this.

DON TLO OKH ERE
THE ORI GIN ALT AGI
SMI SSI NG 100000

That's funny right there! I've seen creative tags before, that's a good one! The only part of the VIN that appears on a 1968 data tag is the first 4 characters. The six digits on the lower right corner are known as the shipping or order number (incidentally, on the MSO, its also combined with the SPD and plant code to create an "invoice" number). This number combined with 3 prefix digits (identifying the plant, carline, and model year) is what's stamped on the core support & trunk drip rail. So, lets say we have a 68 Road Runner that was built at Lynch Road, and the shipping number is 112233 the core support & trunk drip rail should look like this: AR8112233. "A" = Lynch Rd, "R" = Belvedere, & "8" = 1968 model year, followed by the shipping number. The engine and trans are stamped with the sequential build number, which is the last 6 digits of the VIN. This number is preceded in most cases by the model year and plant code. So if the same car had a VIN ending in 445566, the numbers on the engine & trans should look like this: 8A445566.

Of course, different plants, different shifts, etc etc can all create variables, & we all know how crazy this stuff can get...... Also note that all of this is based on my own experiences and research, and in NO way should be taken as the absolute truth...just trying to offer a little help.

Back