• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

modernistsouth Intro

modernistsouth

Reaction score
I'm a third generation MOPAR driver living in Augusta, GA. In the words of Sly Stone, "It's a family affair." I just began a restoration of a 1970 383, numbers matching RR. My brother and I both inherited 70's from our father. They had been resting on family property since 1979. My brother's car is a single family car bought new by our grandmother. My car was traded for a chord of wood back in 1979 with the intention of using as a parts car until we realized it was numbers matching. In addition to the RR, I am quite fond of my '05 Sport Ram Hemi 4x4. I will drive that truck to my death.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Welcome to the bird's nest! Please post some pics of your cars. We love pics around here!!!

modernistsouth

Reaction score
IMG_1565.jpg
My brother's RR is to the right and mine to the left just before we put my on trailer to deliver to Augusta. He's got to build his engine from the block up, but the body is near perfect with little rot though. My car has some fender damage that I've been able to pound out and the typical rear quarter rust. Otherwise a solid car. I'll be replacing floorboards in the cabin and trunk too. When I gutted the interior, I removed more than 80 lbs of black walnut shells and the petrified carcass of the squirrel who ate them. He lived a good life under the rear seat of that rod.

IMG_1565.jpg

modernistsouth

Reaction score
welcome from Ohio. go any more pics?

I've got a few. I've just begun taking her apart, so they're pics of a rough ride. I don't know if you guys want to see it all, or prefer to see the beauty pics when she's all fancied up. I'm a teacher, so the resto will be a long process. I'm figuring out the best order to do it, but I prefer to get her on the road first, then work it from there. Since my grandmother's property backs up to a fishing pond, plenty of jerks picked her of parts over the years. My cousins are all MOPAR guys, and they did their fair share of pickin' too.

IMG_1595.jpg

Here she is arriving at my house. Unfortunately, someone decided to paint the car black. I love the original ice blue poly, but everyone has their opinion.

IMG_1596.jpg

In the pic I posted the other day, you'll notice a nasty crease in the driver's side fender. It's a rust free fender, and I'm Georgia poor, so I'm reshaping the fender instead of installing a replacement. I'm about 8 hours into it, and she's working out nicely. Another 8 hours and the fender should be smooth. I also had to drill-out the welds and separate the headlight splashguard, so it could be reshaped. I don't know what happened, but it looks like someone put her front forward into a ditch and squeezed her in-between a couple of trees.

IMG_1814.jpg

Here is the engine compartment, as she was found, but with a little cleaning. You'll notice the remnants of pillage. I'm annoyed at the missing parts from what was a complete car when my dad parked her. But even more annoying is the damage people do to the car when they steal parts. Like instead of disengaging wire connectors, they cut the harness. Dumb asses.

IMG_1812.jpg

So, there she is in her worn out glory. Stay tuned for when the wheels are rolling. BTW, those wheels on the car now are Cherokee wheels. The original wheels were also stolen, so we got some temporary wheels to at least get her trailered and home. Unfortunately, Cherokee wheels do not have the proper offset and rub on the upper control arm. Needless to say, loading her was really hard.

Thanks for all of the welcomes.

IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1814.jpg

IMG_1812.jpg

inri

Reaction score
View attachment 4749
My brother's RR is to the right and mine to the left just before we put my on trailer to deliver to Augusta. He's got to build his engine from the block up, but the body is near perfect with little rot though. My car has some fender damage that I've been able to pound out and the typical rear quarter rust. Otherwise a solid car. I'll be replacing floorboards in the cabin and trunk too. When I gutted the interior, I removed more than 80 lbs of black walnut shells and the petrified carcass of the squirrel who ate them. He lived a good life under the rear seat of that rod.

Nice RR's! And cool squirrel story :)

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
we like projects here, nice shiney paint is over rated. Yeah ya gotta love what scumbag theives do. hope they rot in hell.
keep the pics coming, I need a fix...bad...:crazy:
and anybody can bolt on a new fender...nice job saving that one :thumbsup:

69rr4406p

Reaction score
Welcome. Glad to see another bird on the path of getting back on the road. I hate thieves. Someone stole the horn from ours when it was sitting. I was super lucky to get a date correct NOS part. Good luck and keep us posted on your project, we all really enjoying watching the progress.

moparmonk

Reaction score
A mighty welcome from Maine! I believe that is slightly North of you... Yeah Theives Suck. I would like to have my original oval Coyote Duster Air cleaner and base plate back along with the gauge cluster with the factory tach in it! Bastahds!

Back