• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monroe Max Air Shocks

Nick

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with these? Car has aftermarket air shocks and I can't find a PSI rating anywhere.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443297613.215626.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443297613.215626.jpg

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Best thing to do with those air shocks is to take them off the car.

The shock mounts are not made to support any weight. I have seen a number of upper shock mounts torn up and in need of repair because of air shocks and shock mounted "helper" springs. If you are lucky, it just tears the bolts out... If you are not so lucky, the upper mount tears and needs replacement.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
That happened on my first Road Runner back in the day. The previous owner had air shocks on the car which broke the mount on one side. His "fix" was to bolt that broken end to the trunk floor which tore it up, so I was stuck replacing that mount!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
anywhere from 90-150 psi. you don't need anywhere near that much air in them unless you're planning to pull a 40 foot camper. I've run air shocks for years without anything bad happening. I've seen tore up mounts like the others have said, but if you're just after some rake, then put 50 psi in the shocks and be done. but the better idea is to replace your springs, or add an extra leaf or two.

Nick

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses. We put 40 PSI just to be safe and to see if it held. Will probably dive on them and keep a close eye. No problem if we need to replace them either. Will probably do that before finished anyways.

quikbird

Reaction score
Big john is absolutely right. The upper shock mount crossbar is not strong enough to support the car. Which is what it is trying to do currently. If you are a welder or have a friend who is, you can beef up the support, or switch to an aftermarket 4 link, or as john suggested add an extra leaf or so.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I suggested the extra leaf......:toetap::toetap::toetap:

TOMRR

Reaction score
Best thing to do with those air shocks is to take them off the car.

The shock mounts are not made to support any weight. I have seen a number of upper shock mounts torn up and in need of repair because of air shocks and shock mounted "helper" springs. If you are lucky, it just tears the bolts out... If you are not so lucky, the upper mount tears and needs replacement.

I AGREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quikbird

Reaction score
Dave you are absolutely right. you did indeed suggest the extra leaf in the spring first and I abjectly and profusely apologise for not giving you the credit you deserve for that suggestion. :worship::worship:
plus at least your car runs. I can't get mine to start yet. driving me crazy.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
THAT'S ok..winter is on the way then you'll have lots of time to finger it out.

Back