• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

moparchris' budget runner

moparchris

Reaction score
Hi there, I have owned my Roadrunner for a few months but unfortunately I have been so busy I havent had time to even clean it up or even take pics. So here are some pics of it. The car was so dirty that it took a few hours just to get it to the point that I even wanted to take pics, it even had someones adult tooth in the ash tray. I plan on driving it around and enjoying it for its patina. It has original paint and a very poor redo of the interior complete with so many broken springs that you practically sit on the floor. It is a 383/auto and F8, yes another green one, and is numbers matching front to back.

moparmoose3

Reaction score
hey moparchris, it looks like a sweetheart to me. i think the majority of us started like that. just take your time and have fun with it. :drive: :drive: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

moparmoose3

Reaction score
oh and it's a greenie too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you'll get the jist of the color thing in awhile

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparmoose3 said:
oh and it's a greenie too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you'll get the jist of the color thing in awhile

Moose, I think he's already got the color thing figured out since he referred to it as "another green one"... :lol:

Looks like a great project, Chris. :thumbsup: Enjoy the patina while you can. Once you get it painted and all gussied up everything changes... :D

I see that you're from Costa Mesa - one of my all-time favorite bars is in CM: The Goat Hill Tavern. 140 beers on tap, peanut shells on the floor, and an entire front clip off of a Stude in the rafters! My kind of place... Ever go there?

:jester:
Ray

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Looks like a keeper to me. Enjoy it and have fun with it. Oh, and don't worry about the color a good body man can change that into something more attractive........just kidding.......my last one was green....... :lol:

droptop

Reaction score
Chris, It looks like you have a good starting point with this one. I wonder why someone would cut holes in an unsilenced air cleaner. :loco: Enjoy it as you work on it have always been my favorite cars. I love your avitar. It looks like she is winking at us.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
While you may get some stares from people, you might as well enjoy it until you're ready to restore it. I wondered the same thing Harold. Do you have any idea why holes would have been cut in the air cleaner cover? And welcome to the green team!

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
C'mon guys - This is just too obvious; someone thought that they could increase the air flow by cutting some holes in the air cleaner...and it was done a long time ago based on the rusty edges around the holes...

If I had to guess it was probably done by some kid...I did some pretty silly things to my red Duster 340 as an adolescent seeking to "improve" its performance and or appearance...including throwing away that "ugly fender tag" during an early underhood clean up...live and learn...

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
There's something to be said for patina. It shows that the car was driven and not used as a giant paperweight.

We have a guy that works part-time for us. He's kind of a character, but pretty sharp. Anyway... He showed up at work in a 67 Nova the other day. He said his wife got it as a high school graduation present. A little rust and wear, but a pretty solid car that catches your eye. Impertant thing was it was being driven. He said his wife doesn't drive it much anymore, but she gets a little annoyed when he does, so he said they end up going out together in it quite a bit and having a lot of fun.

I didn't get the particulars, he doesn't know much, but it does have a SS emblem on the grille.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
I didn't get the particulars, he doesn't know much, but it does have a SS emblem on the grille.

If it has the factory chrome air cleaner with the dual snorkels 180 degrees apart...buy it...

moparchris

Reaction score
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have owned several restored Roadrunners in the past as well as others, I hate to say it but I likem kinda rough. :yesnod: This car has alot of rust including the trunk floor, tailpanel, rear frame rails, inner and outer wheel houses, quarters, dutchman panel, both front floors, rockers, front fenders, and front inner fenders. I have already bought a rust free 68 satelite that is stripped to the shell and parted out for a few hundred dollars. Hopefully in the near future I will attempt the largest rust repair yet. But for now I have to register, insure it, put tires on it, an alternator, and a few odds and ends to make it my daily driver. One of the nice things about living in Socal is that the weather is mild year round so I can drive the wheels off it anytime. I also plan to take it to the track and run it. But first I have to put a trans in it as it does its impression of the Exxon Valdez in my garage. I have a low gear 999 trans for it with a Jw ultra bell on it so I can run it behind a big bock and a 10 inch converter. This is the 5th 69 runner I have owned, all but one was green by the way :brickwall: and I felt I had to save this one since it was just stting out in the snow rotting, and of course the price was right. As far as my avatar, thats Vinnie my shop dog and he loves to go out and lay some rubber with me. I had to throw him in there because he is my biggest supporter. Oh yeah I almost forgot, the Goat Hill Tavern is less than a mile from my house and I have been there a few of times it has great atmosphere. What brought you to my neck of the woods?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Now that's a sweet look'n runner! I had more fun with my primered runner I lost in my fire, than with any car with nice paint. Looks like a great project Chris.
Hey would you be interested in some brand new carpet for your car? Maybe we could trade for something off that Satellite.......

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
moparchris said:
Oh yeah I almost forgot, the Goat Hill Tavern is less than a mile from my house and I have been there a few of times it has great atmosphere. What brought you to my neck of the woods?

I work in the Aerospace Industry and several of my most important accounts are in SoCal...ILFC in Beverly Hills, Driessen in Garden Grove, and C&D Zodiac in Huntington Beach (they have about six facilities throughout SoCal but Corp HQ is in HB) just to name a few. I'm probably out there every couple of months or so on average... I've been thinking about tying in a business trip to coincide with one of the Pomona Swap Meets...I'm sure you've been many times...any tips or pointers for a newb? I hear they start lining up to get in at like 4:00 A.M...

Ray

mcmopar

Reaction score
Speaking of the air cleaner - when I bought my car the 1st time (back in '83) the original owner had cut the entire top off the air cleaner - effectively, though unceremoniously, making it an "open element" air cleaner assembly. Luckily I had a spare!
Nice ride, Chris!

moparchris

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird, I do like your car, as a matter of fact I like them all I think thats my problem :brickwall:
Acme a12 let me know next time your in town and we could get together and check out some cars in the area. Pomona is huge, but not much in the way of mopar parts, some mopar cars for sale for too much.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Will do Chris. I'd love to take in some of the local rides. I might head out there the week of August 10. I need to go up to Santa Maria on a new program and hopefully everything will be in place by that time - as I'd also like to try to catch one of the Rays/Angels games that week if I can pull it all together... One of my buddies out there has an office overlooking the stadium and we're about due for an "off-site meeting"... :thumbsup:

Seems like the guys from Car Craft are praising the reasonable costs of the MoPar Products at Pomona every time you turn around...but strangely they never buy anything... :yesnod:

ACME

Back