• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor Mounts

Ranger

Reaction score
Do my eyes deceive me or does the 393 sit tilted just slightly to the left?
I thought maybe I had a bad motor mount so I put a floor jack under the oil pan with a 4x4 on the lift pad and started to jack. The motor and front end rose in unison. No play what so ever.

D575

Reaction score
I know the 440 sits offset , on the passenger side.

Ranger

Reaction score
No not offset. If you squat down and look at the motor head on with the hood open so that you are on an even plane with the air filter, you can just barely detect the slightest tilt of the air filter cover to the drivers side. Perhaps the moor mount rubber has compressed some. Maybe I'll just replace it. It certainly isn't expensive and can't be too difficult.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Yeah the engine torques down on that side so the mount is worn and flat.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nudge the air cleaner a few times gently with a rubber mallet on the offending side. That'll fix it... :basketcase:

JK, of course. What Hemi Bob said X2.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I usually just put a couple of bricks under the leaning side and the engine sits level...but then the car leans and not sure what to do about that....

Ranger

Reaction score
In all fairness, I'd have to pointy it out for anyone to even notice it, so I'm not terribly worried and it is not a high priority.

moparmonk

Reaction score
Grab a big pipe wrench and turn the exhaust tip in the opposite direction! That is how I knew I had broke both motor mounts, both tips were slanted the same way.

Ranger

Reaction score
Got under it and checked it out today. WOW! The passengers side is solid. Drivers side is wrinkled, cracked, shriveled and crushed. Bought a replacement today. Will attempt to replace it in the next few days. Not looking forward to it though as there is not much room to work down there.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
"differential girdle spring"... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

The Turbo Encabulator has been one of my favorite videos for years. Can't watch that one too many times. :cheers:

Ranger

Reaction score
I gave up. Damned near impossible to do on your back. Not even sure I could do it on a lift. Boy it's tight quarters under there. Against my principles, I guess I'm gonna have to pay some one.

Ranger

Reaction score
Took it over to a friend that has a lift. 2 1/2 hrs later the mount was changed. Hope I never have to do that again.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
try changing freeze plugs with headers, and no lift.

Back