• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

msherma5 Intro

msherma5

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Road Runner Enthusiasts,
My name is Mike. I have been involved in building and racing cars since I was very young. My grandfather had a '63 1/2 427 Galaxie, a '64 427 Comet, and a Station wagon with a 427 that they drag raced. My father was one of the designers of the Buick Grand National, GNX, and Turbo Trans Am. So I have been involved heavily in building turbo cars since I was very young, but always loved the big blocks. When I was 18 I built a '90 Mustang with a 351W that made over 500 rwhp. I am an engineer by training and salesman by occupation.
I just purchased my first mopar, a '68 Road Runner. I am very excited to learn all about them, and contribute in anyway possible!
Thank you!
Mike

msherma5

Reaction score
welcome Mike, let's see that '68

Not a very fancy pic, but there she is! Thank you for the warm welcomes.

I can't wait for that game in Columbus! Hopefully we finally show up. It has been quite a while since we have.

IMG_0593.jpg

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
post car...sweet. four speed? and we gotta have more pics!

msherma5

Reaction score
post car...sweet. four speed? and we gotta have more pics!

Yes sir. Here is my kid trying to pull through the gears. I need some more pics for sure! Ha... Don't judge...... The only other pic I have of the car is it on a trailer. Like most of these cars it seems to have an interesting history. I am doing my best to pull it all together as best I can. From what I have been told......
1) I have heard the car was used in Canada as a "race vehicle" at some point. What that means I have no idea.
2) It was in the hands of a very prominent Mopar racer for most of the 80's and 90's. He told me the last time he saw the car, it had mud on the roof.
3) Sometime in the mid/late-2000's the car was restored. A fender tag was made for the car, which "isn't correct", based on the earliest known owner of the vehicle (the fender tag claims the car was bronze).
The earliest known owner claims that the car was always black, and had original paint when he purchased it. He was kind enough to provide me with a bunch of the pictures from the mid-80's when he owned the car. He also stated that the car didn't have a build sheet when he owned it. Which makes it highly unlikely that a later owner could have put one together.

I have looked around for other strategies and ideas on how to figure out this information, without any simple answers. I just keep peeling back the onion. If anyone has any ideas please let me know!

The long and short is I am having a bunch of fun trying to put together the history of the vehicle, and driving it around is an absolute pleasure!

IMG_0540.jpg
IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

quikbird

Reaction score
That interior looks compatible with bronze. It also doesn't matter. Paint it whatever color you like..
:D:D
Looking forward to that game also! I live about 2 miles from the stadium. Hope you show up for game also. Better rivalry if issue is not certain. Much more fun.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
is that the H word on the hood? main this is have fun with it!

msherma5

Reaction score
is that the H word on the hood? main this is have fun with it!

Yes sir!
I was fortunate enough to run into a J-code Hemi car. Although I don't think I have pushed it over 4000 rpm yet, which is pretty sad. The thing is kind of scary to drive with no power steering, power brakes, and those drums up front! I am definitely still getting used to it.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Yes sir!
I was fortunate enough to run into a J-code Hemi car. Although I don't think I have pushed it over 4000 rpm yet, which is pretty sad. The thing is kind of scary to drive with no power steering, power brakes, and those drums up front! I am definitely still getting used to it.

Welcome to my world no power assist just leave a little extra room to stop, cool car!

Coyote

Reaction score
Wow! Looks super straight in the pics. Hemi, black, 4 gear, post. SWEET! Enjoy! My 2 cents: Manual front disc conversion, consider it life insurance! Go Bucks!

msherma5

Reaction score
Wow! Looks super straight in the pics. Hemi, black, 4 gear, post. SWEET! Enjoy! My 2 cents: Manual front disc conversion, consider it life insurance! Go Bucks!

Thank you! Three possible factors I have been told play into that super straight body:
1) The car has 23,xxx "original" miles. No proof.
2) The car was raced its whole life (I always thought this would twist em up?)
3) Or the guy who did the bodywork was A+++??

Front disc conversion is on my list for this winter!

Coyote

Reaction score
Thank you! Three possible factors I have been told play into that super straight body:
1) The car has 23,xxx "original" miles. No proof.
2) The car was raced its whole life (I always thought this would twist em up?)
3) Or the guy who did the bodywork was A+++??

Front disc conversion is on my list for this winter!

Bingo, on the twist 'em up! That's why almost all the race cars were ivory, white, red or bridal path tan. Hard launches, sticky slicks/gummy tires, makes a very friendly car that waves it's rear quarters at you. Yours looks super in the photo. Somebody knew what they were doing!

Back