• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 69 getting a fresh start on the body and paint

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
Finally getting it painted, all the body work done, small rust holes fixed, passenger side 1/4 and door jamb fixed, front window rust fixed dings and dents all fixed. What do you think? Its done with PPG aquabase plus water based paint with the closest match to T5 as we could get. it has different tints in different lights.

m7FwsTR.jpg

bUGQEmG.jpg

VjSAdz0.jpg

zcHTdDC.jpg

k7x2Fbi.jpg

k0AVXAd.jpg

GlBL0on.jpg

this area was bad
w89A7Qi.jpg

YAjtba6.jpg

Nziayvi.jpg

1AQ4oR6.jpg

tFZpRwP.jpg

nZwDriE.jpg

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
I have the 6 bbl hood still, but no longer on hinges now full lift off. The hinges were causing it to bow in the middle so they got it flat and since they were worried i would bend again I decided to go full lift off. Speaking of which is totally auto the only one stil that hs that near organsol paint? if not i have to go with the hot rod black. either way the black hood will look good with this T5 along with the mag 500's and black interior.

I asked the painter to spray the dsh black as well, and after he looked at it he convinced me to pull the dash out and do it right, being that I rattle canned the sides it looked pretty crappy and he knew I would go nutz of it after everything else looked so good, so now I have a chance to get back under there and fix things like wiring and considering a new ac cooler unit even though all the OE ac is gone. the heater core works good still and no leaks from the box but wold like to add the ac back in someday but don't want to pull the whole box out. anyway

hoping this OE color will pop in the sunlight. so now the only thing not OE is the motor, but year correct 440, Hood (have the OE hood still and a year correct 383 as well ready to go back in) and the interior is changed from saddle to black. How big of a deal is that to everyone? am I screwing the car over by not putting it back 100% to OE?

Here is the car when I found it / bought it.

luD9BC1.jpg

035IUf7.jpg

I4dC8zT.jpg

HlZLQsm.jpg

gfGD46Z.jpg

EZsMafL.jpg

CMq1MWP.jpg

hoRn5zQ.jpg

yXEmpW1.jpg

uew2sB2.jpg

http://imgur.com/uew2sB2

Tq6XOlE.jpg

SLYfePQ.jpg

Trunk now, trying out something different, instead of the normal grey / black spatter paint I picked a tan stone color. I like it bit is it too wrong?
MYhl4M0.jpg

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
the car has come a long way/ were you using the light weight springs? I have them on mine, and no sign of any bowing after four years.

droptop

Reaction score
I tried something different on the trunk area and the interior of my GTX. I used tintable bed liner. image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
the car has come a long way/ were you using the light weight springs? I have them on mine, and no sign of any bowing after four years.

I did have the light weight springs on it, I think it was just this way when I bought it. one of those $500 ones from penstar place online, I think they do ebay and car shows now.

You can see the silver springs here.

ZFfZt5k.jpg

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
I tried something different on the trunk area and the interior of my GTX. I used tintable bed liner. View attachment 11171View attachment 11172

I like it. is your car going to be green? that ill match the trunk really well.

on the inside,
when I had my carpet out after cleaning the floor up I used rust bullet on it then a undercoating from 3M in a spray can, then went with a heat/sound deadening material about a 1/8" thick on top of that then the carpet, what a big difference, between that and adding resonators to the rear tail pipes like on the hemi's the sound levels went way down.

Good thing I did the first phoney baloney body shop that dried to rip me off left my car out in one our worse rain seasons in 5 years and of course the windows on the sides didn't seal all that well and water got in and flooded the floor. when I got it back and got the seats out I was stunned to see the only rust damage was to the seat bolts! so that process worked out well. it all dried out and is just fine, even cleaned the carpet and it still looks new.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Pentastar Reproductions? that's where I got mine.

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
Yes, shipping was huge and the hood was so rough it cost me another $800 to get it 90%. So at least this time is flat even with the fenders and will get a whole new look. I bought a lot of small items from them once when you could call them on the phone with an order list. They were cool about combining shipping just seems they vanished or just show up on ebay with these hoods sometimes. They recommended the springs so that where I got them.

Raw hood, wasn't expecting it to be so rough when I got it.

7MFHNpE.jpg

Rz4848X.jpg

yRkI1AZ.jpg

droptop

Reaction score
I went with black bed liner on the underside. Should help a lot with sound deadening and heat transfer. image.jpg

image.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Car looks great with the fresh paint..Now the hard part..The bottom is suppose to be same color....

The way they came from the factory is the bottom is the primer they dipped the car in with some over spray when painted. Painting the bottom is a recent restoration fad to over restore. In recent I mean the last 10-12 years :yesnod:

roadrunner restoration 797.jpg

roadrunner restoration 799.jpg

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I met them on the way to Chryslers at Norwalk and saved on the shipping. Mine didn't look that ruff, and they did seem to disappear.
PTDC0005 (2).jpg

PTDC0005 (2).jpg

Back