• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Narrowing an 8 3/4 diff

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I picked up an 8 3/4 for my Valiant project yesterday and was wondering what was the most typical place on the tubes was for shortening. Ive seen them mid tube which I thought was odd or do you try and remove them from the center section ? I picked this up for a song,, its out of a truck 489 case limited slip 3:55 gear

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The narrowed 8.75" under Pinkie was cut at the flanges...and then the flanges were simply welded back on... :cents:

I take it you scored a B/E 8.75"??? The A-body versions command big $$$ these days...

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
The narrowed 8.75" under Pinkie was cut at the flanges...and then the flanges were simply welded back on... :cents:

I take it you scored a B/E 8.75"??? The A-body versions command big $$$ these days...
No its a pickup diff, this was $200 brakes and all,figured since the springs were going to be moved inboard whats a little more welding :lol:

moparchris

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:

No its a pickup diff, this was $200 brakes and all,figured since the springs were going to be moved inboard whats a little more welding :lol:

I cut the housing ends off at the factory weld. Then I cut the housing end in the lathe to create a sort of pocket to set the end back on so there is more contact than just a butt weld. I have the jig/fixture to narrow it if your coming to Ca anytime soon I will narrow it for ya. Actually I will be in Parker Az in a few weeks and returning a few weeks after that to return my Swinger to paint jail. Maybe we can meet up and i can take it home and fix it for ya. Dont narrow it without a fixture it will be shaped like a banana if you do! :banana:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:

I cut the housing ends off at the factory weld. Then I cut the housing end in the lathe to create a sort of pocket to set the end back on so there is more contact than just a butt weld. I have the jig/fixture to narrow it if your coming to Ca anytime soon I will narrow it for ya. Actually I will be in Parker Az in a few weeks and returning a few weeks after that to return my Swinger to paint jail. Maybe we can meet up and i can take it home and fix it for ya. Dont narrow it without a fixture it will be shaped like a banana if you do! :banana:
I did an AMC model 20 on the ends and a couple 4x4 fronts which is pretty easy. Yes without some sort of a jig you got problems :yesnod:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
moparchris said:
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:

Bob, which carrier did the diff come with? SG? If you take Chris your housing maybe you could get my pie tin back while you're there... :lol: :devil: :lol:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
Imma gonna weld that pie tin to the back of bobs housing! :lol: :lmao:
Let me know when your going to Parker, I think a pie tin would look cool :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
moparchris said:
Let me know when your going to Parker, I think a pie tin would look cool :thumbsup:

I'm sure that there is some reason that I run around with you two jokers...but I just can't remember what that is right now... :toetap:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

moparchris

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
moparchris said:
Yeah Bob, who is that Acme guy anyway? Never heard of him. I understand he supplies that pesky Wile E Coyote with parts. :toetap:

Hey on another note, we will be in contact about our Parker trip, my wife will probably call your wife. :facepalm:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
69hemibeep said:
moparchris said:
Yeah Bob, who is that Acme guy anyway? Never heard of him. I understand he supplies that pesky Wile E Coyote with parts. :toetap:

Hey on another note, we will be in contact about our Parker trip, my wife will probably call your wife. :facepalm:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Back