• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Narrowing the Differential Housing

BBillyC

Reaction score
Well we have to put the big tires on sooner or later. Today I pulled out the diff and cut 3.25 inches off each side, then beveled the cut edges so that I will get a good penetrating weld in it. I did it on a band saw over at the race car shop. I don't have jig so after discussing it with some of the best car guys I know I came up with a plan. I have new Moser axles with sealed bearings (which are very rigid) on it so I put the short piece (bearing cup housing end) on the axle and tightened the flange bolts to set the bearing. Put the differential in the housing, then standing the housing on end with the axle slid into the diff the two pieces come together. Then checking the play over 360 degrees (spline play) set the bearing cup where it wants to go by equalizing the slop. Actually the cut turned out so good, and the housing very straight by welding it where it normally would be is just fine. I will tack it in four quadrants. Once solidly tacked I will pull the axle and then weld 1.5 inches and let it cool....do the other side. This piece is looking real good and if the alignment works right this will work out real well. I'll post pics of the project tomorrow.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
sounds like a plan
when we weld on the job we pre-heat the iron to 350 degrees so the iron is expanded so when the weld cools and shrinks it doesnt crack :D

Roadcuda

Reaction score
That sounds like a great way to square it up. It still has to be tricky to keep it square though.

BBillyC

Reaction score
Cut and welded and I fit the diff housing to the car to set the pinion angle then tacked the perches were they needed to be. The tire's fit in the well like a charm and man they look sweet. Tomorrow I have to pick up new inner axle seals and get some more gear oil. To the brake line block I have to flare the tubing and put a new fitting on it. Other than those items we'll be good to go.

Now I have two original 489 axles with green sealed bearing's on them if anyone is interested...also a set of cragar 14" x 8" which are in mint condition.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
can't wait to see it! wish those Cragars were 15"..

moparchris

Reaction score
Billy, is there someone with a jig nearby? The reason I ask is that I made my own out of solid 1.5 inch stock and made 4 pucs out of aluminum stock. I have found that EVERY housing I have put in the jig is bent. Even though they were bent the axles had no problem going in and out. If someone near by had the jig I bet they would weld it for cheap since you have already done the time consuming part. I dont mean to give unwanted advice.

BBillyC

Reaction score
We checked the tube for straightness and it was poker straight. We had a jig for a ford 9 inch but nothing else was in town. Most stuff here in this city is chevy...you can get anything for them but Mopar stuff seems rare. It's all welded up and after work tonight I put the inner seals and the diff back in. Tomorrow night I am going to put the rear in and finish the assembly. I am really happy with the way it turned out. running squares across the flanges at 16" they are perfectly square to each other all around can't get much better than that without a jig.

BBillyC

Reaction score
I thought the handling would be a little ugly, but this is nice, very nice. It's fun to drive and with the 410's the RPM's have come way down with the big tire.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh yeah. THAT F'N WORKS. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The deep offset on the rims just makes the whole thing. It states to anyone that knows anything about tire & wheel fitment that some serious effort was put forth to get those big feet under there. :cheers:

:jester:

Back