• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need info on how to install trunk and hood weather stripping

nicanor

Reaction score
The car is painted and exterior about 95 percent competed. But I don't know how to install the weatherstripping for the trunk and hood.

The trunk weatherstripping is V shaped but don't know how to install the seal/weatherstripping.

It seems as if I put the weatherstripping on top, the trunk won't close.

Also, installing the weatherstrip for the hood that goes over the radiator is a question.

I need to get this done so I can get the car to the interior shop.

Thanks for all your help,
Barry

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Re: Need info on how to install trunk and hood weather strip

Barry,

The hood ones should have the clips to snap the rubber seals in place and the rear cowl one has about 7-9 slots to pop them into and the front on can only go one way around the hood bumper/adjusters.

The truck one is glued in the grove and I use the Black 3M adhesive and hold it down with the GOOD(green) masking tape so it don't pull up the paint.

Hope this is what you asking.

A31PKG

Reaction score

Be sure to get the trunk weatherstrip from Dixie Restorations. They are the only ones that have the correct thickness. The "rest" are too thick causing you to have to really slam the deck lid. I think I posted on this a year or so ago with pics showing the differences in thickness. I'll try to find it.

nicanor

Reaction score

Please verify,

The trunk seal goes in the groove? Not at the edge of the trunk. I thought the groove was a rain runoff. So please let me know if the weatherstrip/seal goes in the groove. That would make sense.

Thanks for the help,
Barry

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score

nicanor said:
Please verify,

The trunk seal goes in the groove? Not at the edge of the trunk. I thought the grove was a rain runoff. So please let me know if the weatherstrip/seal goes in the groove. That would make sense.

Thanks for the help,
Barry
It goes on the edge, water runs down the groove.

road runner 113 (Medium).jpg

road runner 002 (Medium).jpg

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score

A31PKG said:
Be sure to get the trunk weatherstrip from Dixie Restorations. They are the only ones that have the correct thickness. The "rest" are too thick causing you to have to really slam the deck lid. I think I posted on this a year or so ago with pics showing the differences in thickness. I'll try to find it.

I buy all my weatherstripp and cat wiskers from Dixie.

he's got the best there's out there.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score

69hemibeep said:
nicanor said:
Please verify,

The trunk seal goes in the groove? Not at the edge of the trunk. I thought the grove was a rain runoff. So please let me know if the weatherstrip/seal goes in the groove. That would make sense.

Thanks for the help,
Barry
It goes on the edge, water runs down the groove.

Just what the picture man said and can't go wrong :thumbsup: :D

nicanor

Reaction score

Does the "V" in the weatherstrip/seal split the metal edge or does the complete seal sit on top of the ledge? The picture looks like the seal is splitting the edge.

Thanks,
Barry

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score

:bump:

nicanor

Reaction score

Thank you for the pictures and suggestions. Does someone have the website address for Dixie?

Thank you,
Barry

A31PKG

Reaction score

The one on the right is the Dixie seal. The one on the left is the one most vendors sell. I don't recall the manufacturer's name off hand. The Dixie one matches the O.E. seal perfectly. Black weatherstrip adhesive is the way to go. I use those office-style (legal?) paper clips...You can get 'em at Staples. Get a bunch. Cut up some cardboard into 2" squares and place the clamps (clips, whatever they are) next to each other with the cardboard between the seal & the clamp. That way you wont leave an impression of the clamp in the seal when you remove them. You can do a couple feet at a time. Make sure you adjust the trunk striker/latch and get eveything lined up good before you do this. When done, shut the trunk for a day or two.

:thumbsup:

TRUNK SEAL 1.JPG

nicanor

Reaction score

Thank you for the help. I was able to order the trunk seal from Dixie.

Thanks again,
Barry

A31PKG

Reaction score

BTW, the lower portion butts up against the lip of the trunk opening....the turns in the lower right & left corners can get tricky. Good luck with it!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score

I used 3m black weather strip adhesive, applied to both surfaces and started sticking it after it got tacky. I did have two people to control the rubber so it didn't stick to something else. I didn't have to clip it down tape it or close the deck lid, just make sure you don't stretch it as you stick it.

A31PKG

Reaction score

The main reason I used those paper clamp thingys that I spoke of was for holding the seal in place in the corner areas. Bob's way is probably a better way to do it...especially if you have an assistant. Weatherstrip adhesive is sorta like contact cement. A thin film on both surfaces, a minute or two to skin over, and then join 'em together. If you are steady and careful it makes shorter work of the process. The problem is, once contact is made, it can be troublesome/messy stuff to deal with. I used a small bead in 2-foot sections, lined up the seal, and then held it in place with the clamps. Either way, the procedure requires patience - no doubt!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score

A31PKG said:
The main reason I used those paper clamp thingys that I spoke of was for holding the seal in place in the corner areas. Bob's way is probably a better way to do it...especially if you have an assistant. Weatherstrip adhesive is sorta like contact cement. A thin film on both surfaces, a minute or two to skin over, and then join 'em together. If you are steady and careful it makes shorter work of the process. The problem is, once contact is made, it can be troublesome/messy stuff to deal with. I used a small bead in 2-foot sections, lined up the seal, and then held it in place with the clamps. Either way, the procedure requires patience - no doubt!
Craig, you have any story behind the AMX in your avatar :popcorn:

A31PKG

Reaction score

Yes, that's yours truly putzin' around at the track in '81 or '82! I found some old pics and thought I'd get nutty. I had three of these cars back in the day (not at the same time) and this was AMX #2. I've always loved these cars.... kinda thinkin' about getting another.... some day....

This particular car eventually morphed into this.....

MY \'70 AMX IN \'86.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score

A31PKG said:
Yes, that's yours truly putzin' around at the track in '81 or '82! I found some old pics and thought I'd get nutty. I had three of these cars back in the day (not at the same time) and this was AMX #2. I've always loved these cars.... kinda thinkin' about getting another.... some day....

The closest I came to owning one was a Javelin, I dig em :drive:

moparchris

Reaction score

A31PKG said:

That is soooo cool. I love AMCs.

BTW I always leave the decklid open for a few days so that it doesn't stick to the decklid.

Back