• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

negative battery cable

rapid67rt

Reaction score
What was the stock length of the negative battery cable and where was the proper mounting location on the block? 69rr 383

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
The Neg. cable that was on my 383 car was 25-26 inches long that is from hole to hole in the cable.

The mounting of that cable is sandwitched between the carb return spring bracket and the intake manifold.

I have seen pictures of ones with a toothed washer under the bracket and on top of the cable is it correct ??? mine didn't have it and I took the orignal one off the car.

rapid67rt

Reaction score
Anybody have any pic's? The length just seems long. I was also told that that the proper mounting used a waterpump bolt. Just want to get it right.

A31PKG

Reaction score
Bill is correct. Here are a couple of survivor pics I took at Carlisle a couple years ago. Sometimes there's a star washer and sometimes not. If you look carefully at the A12 pic, you can see the star washer under the bolt head. I would assume that the star washer would serve its purpose better between the cable end and the manifold... regardless, the end of the cable is always (there's that word again) between the bracket and the intake. :thumbsup:

Carlisle \'09 053.jpg

Carlisle \'09 028.jpg

Back