• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Cam

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
244 298deg @ 50 510 lift 108 deg. does this sound like a good cam for a 440? it has worked 915s with 11 to 1 flat tops. 1.5 rockers. single plane intake. any ideas?

mcmopar

Reaction score
OK - is that 244 @ .050 intake and 298 advertised? Or is it 298 @ .050 exhaust? I'm thinking the 298 is an advertised duration. In any event 244 @ .050 is ok for a street 440 with headers.
You could, however, run one of the Comp Nostalgia Plus cams like this one:
Part #21-672-4(Single Bolt)
Description: Hydraulic-Strong bracket/street cam. 10:1 comp. 3500 stall. Excellent replacement for the “509”
RPM Range: 3000-6500
Advertised Duration: 292/299
Duration @ .050: 247/254
Valve Lift: .509"
Check it out here: http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/CamDetails.aspx?csid=719&sb=2
This is an updated version of Chrysler's "509" cam. Jerry (moparmoose) can attest that the Chrysler 509 runs very well. One night out at Speed World he had the unfortunate luck to be paired up with a '70 GTX that had the 509 cam in it along with headers and a nice TF trans. This was a true street car and it clicked off 12.20's through the mufflers! You would never know that car could run that well just by looking at it. It was a pristine B5 car that wore Centerline wheels. It wasn't loud, it wasn't "in your face" but that car could flat fly! Your 440 sounds like it would have a good time with Comp's newer version of the 509.
If you have the room for more lift I'd look at one of these 2 cams by Comp also:
http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/CamDetails.aspx?csid=712&sb=2
or
http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/CamDetails.aspx?csid=713&sb=2
The 2nd one is very healthy and may be too strong for a street car. Jerry has the 1st one in his 440 and it is very nice indeed. It really is impressive to see and hear it fire up through the Flowmasters! It has a nice, aggressive idle and Jerry's only running 9.2:1 compression. It would be nastier still at 11:1.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
You would never know that car could run that well just by looking at it. It was a pristine B5 car that wore Centerline wheels.

It's all in the paint and wheels... :lmao:

:jester:
ACME aka Founder of the B5 La Mancha Club

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
mcmopar said:
You would never know that car could run that well just by looking at it. It was a pristine B5 car that wore Centerline wheels.

It's all in the paint and wheels... :lmao:

:jester:
ACME aka Founder of the B5 La Mancha Club
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
Been really busy with work. The RR is almost in paint. It slowed to a a bit when I had to replace both quarters but there on. The car had been blocked more times than I care to remember and the jambs and engine bay have been painted. Just inching closer and closer. The Cam is 298 @50. Droptop I need to make a parts pick-up here real soon. :cheers: Sorry I have been a stranger here lately! Looks like the place has really grown or some of you guys are using different names :huh:

mcmopar

Reaction score
That's a big cam for a street car. You are going to need some 4.10 gears at the very least to make the car move with duration that long IMO. If the car is a very serious street car you'll need lots of converter with an automatic, too.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
That's a big cam for a street car. You are going to need some 4.10 gears at the very least to make the car move with duration that long IMO. If the car is a very serious street car you'll need lots of converter with an automatic, too.
I think mc is right. My 292 is pushing it for daily driving. However i haven't change my gears yet, but I definately need to. You gonna need really good heads to get the most out of that cam too. :thumbsup: Good to hear from you. Where are the in process pictures...... :toetap:

Back