• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New carb installed

mcmopar

Reaction score
Since I've been off work the last couple of weeks I decided to do a few things around the house and also work on the car. I've had a Holley 850 Double Pumper carb sitting on the shelf in the garage for awhile now and decided now is the time to rebuild it and install it. I got the rebuild kit about 10 days ago and started the rebuild on Wednesday. Everything went a-ok but when I put in on the car I had some "technical difficulties". A quick call to my buddy Jim verified my suspicions so I made the necessary float adjustments and tried again today. I got it idling ok but it stumbled as soon as I touched the gas pedal. I called a local speed shop to see if they had some pump squiters and found a pair of 40's to try (the carb had 32's on it). A quick swap and the stumble still remained. The guys at the speed shop said that if the squiters didn't solve the problem I'd need a new pump cam. Well, the one on the 750 I had on the car worked great so I swapped out the pump cams and :thumbsup: it worked just like down town! No more stumble. Then I swapped out the 35 squiter on the primary side of the 750 to see how it would do and it also works fine. I may go back to the 40 or get a pair of 37's as the 35 seems just a touch too small. With the 40 squiter on there it feels great off-idle but it may be just a tad too big.
At any rate, the car now idles a bit more aggressively than it did with the 4 corner idle 750 (the 850 DP only has 2 idle mixture screws) but it now pulls 3-4 more inches of vacuum at idle. Another benefit of the 850 DP is that it smells far less "dirty" at idle. The 750 seemed to run just a bit too rich at idle causing it to really be tough to be near. It really was bad. Now, it seems a whole lot less rich and "dirty" smelling. Now maybe the crowd at Old Town won't need their gas masks as I cruise on by!
I've yet to road test it but if the weather holds (40% chance of rain later) I'll run the 24 miles on down to Old Town tonight and shake it down. :cool: All I have to do is be a good boy and keep my foot out of it. Don't want any trouble with the local constabulary! :drive:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I applaud your dedication John; it's just been too hot & muggy to be out there tinkering with the toys...and I know the weather at your place is exactly the same as here... :cheers:

I did work out in the yard for a few hours earlier today...it just had to be done...probably explains why I haven't felt like doing anything more than running out there to look at connecting rods for Gary... :yesnod:

:jester:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Actually its not too bad in the garage. The way its set up allows for a nice breeze to flow through.
I took the car for a small test drive to get some gas and there is still some more fine tuning to do. Its very touchy off-idle so I swapped in the 40 squirter and it helped some but not enough. I may still need another pump cam. I'm also thinking of a jet swap to #76's (75's in there right now). I've got a fan blowing on the engine right now to cool it off and if I get the chance I'll reinstall the 750 until I can get my buddy Jim to come have a look. I'm getting there but its just going to take a bit more time.

mcmopar

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
Which engine?

383 - but its built to take it. I'll be doing some research to see what adjustments I need to make. I should be close on the setup. I reinstalled the 750 and it does idle so much better with the its 4 corner idle capability but like I said - it smells richer than the 850. I may have the idle air bleeds on the 750 enlarged one size to see if that might help. I'd love to get the 850DP running just to see if there is any difference in power but if I can lean out the idle mixture on the 750 I'll probably stick with it for street use.

dmartin

Reaction score
I have the Holley dual line 750 mine stumbles off line and hesitates have a orange pump cam with two holes in it went with a pink one with three holes and put it in the number three hole and it still stumbles so I put it in the no. Two position and it was worse so what now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RR383

Reaction score
I have the Holley dual line 750 mine stumbles off line and hesitates have a orange pump cam with two holes in it went with a pink one with three holes and put it in the number three hole and it still stumbles so I put it in the no. Two position and it was worse so what now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMHO go with a 650 Edelbrock...much easier to tune.:yesnod:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hey mcmopar I am down here in lake wales. Used to live in Altamont back in the 70's. Just got my Runner and it is a project got a 383 in mine rebuilt the deamon on it had float problem's just got a set of new float's hope that solve's my problem. My be after a year or so will bump into one another at old town. What size rear tire are you running on your bird. Well she sure look's good. Well like to talk shop also any info is a help from other hot rod owner. See Ya.

RR383

Reaction score
Hey mcmopar I am down here in lake wales. Used to live in Altamont back in the 70's. Just got my Runner and it is a project got a 383 in mine rebuilt the deamon on it had float problem's just got a set of new float's hope that solve's my problem. My be after a year or so will bump into one another at old town. What size rear tire are you running on your bird. Well she sure look's good. Well like to talk shop also any info is a help from other hot rod owner. See Ya.

Hopefully floats will be the only issue...a few years back I opted for the Demon route only to have a series of defective needle valve and seats...pouring raw fuel into the combustion chambers of my brand new crate motor...got so bad Demon sent me a bag of them along with bowl gaskets and advised me to keep swapping them out until the problem went away...now that's what I call tech help!:crazy:

Back