• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Member - "what's it worth"?

htbhemi

Reaction score
Just found this site and thought I'd join as I'm looking for information on the value of a 1969 Hemi Roadrunner I ordered and purchased new in late 1968. The car was ordered as a "stripper" - you know, post coupe, 4 speed, B5 blue. Only options were the hemi ($900), an AM radio ($15) and mat black hood stripes ($15). I street raced the car for a year with usual mods - headers, cam, gears, Hurst, pinion snubber, distributor curve. Then, I turned it into a B - Modified drag car running as quick as 11:19 @ 134 mph - very close to the national record at the time. IT had tons of modifications then including 13-1 pistons, rare (for the time) aluminum K-heads, 5:13 Dana, slick shifted 4 speed with Hurst FX shifter, mag X-ram manifold with Hollies, dual SW fuel pumps, line lok, rear battery, fiberglas 6-pack hood, lightened body with aluminum carriage bolts, 6 cyl torsion bars, 80-20 shocks, SW mechanical tach and Stahl engine shut off and lots more. The car was track record holder in the area and won a number of street eliminator titles. At the end of 1970, I sold to a local guy who had been after me all season to purchase it. It was sold without engine, trans or rearend. He put in his own engine and torqueflite with push buttons and it's stayed pretty much that way since he bought it from me 40 some years ago. He raced at 8th mile tracks until they closed then took car to cruises etc until he was unfortunately killed in a farm accident in 09. The car shows under 9K miles, has original paint and the Keystone wheels I put on it. It still retains the 6 pack hood and lettering I did way back. Car has no heater or radio, is a high compression engine with cross ram and hollies and runs only on racing gas. My intent, would not be to restore as it likely would not ever recover that value and finding the original engine would be next to impossible. It would put it back like it was in the street race days and make the engine street friendly, convert back to four speed and repair what slight rust the body now has.

So, questions is - what is it worth as it sits?

I've also had a number of other hemi cars - 64 Savory factory race car and 68 Hemi Barracuda factory car. I'll attach photos of all. The others were not purchased new by me and I sold them to work on other projects at the time - had I known!!! But, we all can say that I suppose. Now, I do have a chance to purchase a car I bought new so many years ago but want to make a decision based upon facts and not sentiment.

Hemi Roadrunner1970.JPG

64PlyHemiSavoy_1982.JPG

HemiRoadrunner2009.JPG

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
WELCOME FROM NEW YORK....whats it worth.....whatever the market will bring......60 grand and up...depending

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Does it have a dana back under it now? What is the condition of the interior? No rust under it? Oh and welcome aboard, it sounds a little like mine, manual steering and brakes but my guy ordered a full blown deluxe interior, light package, console, buckets with 6way and am/fm.

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Welcome from Pittsburgh, PA! Wow, sounds like you've had some serious Mopars!
It's so tough to say what it's worth without seeing pics. Do they have an asking price?
Like it has been said, I'm sure you would be willing to pay more than anyone else since
it was your car. Does the current seller know this?

An original Hemi Road Runner with a non-original Hemi, with a clean body only needing minor repair, modified, 9K miles......hmmmmm. $20 - $30K? :cents:

htbhemi

Reaction score
Car supposedly has a Dana back in it. Interior is OK as car has always been garage kept. Some of driveshaft tunnel was cut out to faciliate the Hurst FX shifter I installed. They were much stouter than the reg. Hurst Comp Plus units. All mods I made to car were as per Sox and Martin and prevailing Mopar technologies of the day - i.e. - switch to six cylinder torsion bars, pinion snubber etc. It has no radio or heater at present. Still has the mechanical tach I mounted to dash (Stewart Warner cable driven) 40 plus years ago. I appreciate all the input - especially history of some cars that have sold recently - both original and modified - that will help.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I look at it as the sum of the parts. Core hemi 6-7k complete ready to go hemi 15k, dana $1200-$1500, the J code body and interior is the big question. There is a rust bucket J code car for 20k but its not selling, yours being complete with minimal work being needed has got to be worth some good coin 32k if the hemi k-frame is still in there, the seats door panels and headliner and glass are usable, say 40-45k with the 727 in it . Am I off base guys ? Just a starting point

htbhemi

Reaction score
Good idea and starting point. K-member is there but, when I had the car, I cut it out and boxed to facilite deep pan - you know, the one where the tie rod passes through the oil pan. I was sorta thinking along the same line - $40-$45K. I'm keeping in mind that the present engine is high compression and race fuel only. So, I'd have to pull engine and change pistons, check bore condition, probably a different cam to make it street friendly. Also would need heater re-install and other amenities to return to "civilized" street trim.
If I can figure out how, I'm gonna post some more photos on this site. Keep the comments coming, they really help!

htbhemi

Reaction score
Thank you - I have a photo up of it as it was when I owned (prior to turning into a race car) and one as the car appeared in 2009.
The other photo I have here is my old 64 Plymouth Hemi Savoy - aluminum front end, doors, bumpers, A-100 bucket seats, plexiglass rear window. That was in 1982 or so. I was not the original owner though and bought it to restore but, then sold for 68 Hemi Barracuda race car.

htbhemi

Reaction score
I sold the Savoy and later learned it was destroyed in a garage fire in New Jersey - what a shame! How do you put a photo by your user name? If I can figure it out, I'll put up another photo.

htbhemi

Reaction score
Savoy was a really nice easy restoration. It was originally and aluminum front end car but was missing the aluminum parts - doors, fenders, hood. It had a cobbled up tub job but, otherwise was really straight. I did have one aluminum door and was trying to find other pieces. It had the original engine, iron K-heads, aluminum cross ram and holley carbs. Interior was pristine and original and odometer showed on 90 miles! I really wanted a 68 Hemi Barracuda and when came available, I sold the 64. A few years later I heard it was lost in a garage fire in upstate NJ along with a number of other collector cars.

Back