• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Power Steering Pump for the Bird

taguy16

Reaction score
I just got a new power steering pump for my RR and it looks like there was automatic transmission fluid in it for some reason because red oily fluid drained out of it when I installed it. Is this what these things are assembled with nowadays or could this be a return that someone used auto trans. fluid in. (I've read about people using auto trans fluid in their power steering system for some reason.) Is it safe to just fill it with power steering fluid and bleed it as usual assuming that any remaining ATF will get diluted by the power steering fluid to the point where it won't matter?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I would talk to who you bought it from. Some steering pumps use the same fluid as the transmission. This got you away from having to buy two different fluid's. Also did not have to carry two bottles in the trunk for emergency's. But still would call the people that sold it to you.

taguy16

Reaction score
Thanks. I got it at Auto Joes (otherwise known as autozone) so I don't know how much help they'll be since the people working there have never impressed me as knowing much about cars.

Plybeep68

Acceleratii Incredibus
Reaction score
All of my older mopars use trans fluid in the power steering

Ranger

Reaction score
My guess is it was a return. Never heard of a new pump having fluid in it. That said, if it came from "Auto Joe's", you'll probably be replacing it in short order anyway. They don't call 'em "Don'tLast" parts for nothing.

taguy16

Reaction score
According to the people at the store the PS pumps are tested with ATF so that's why the one I got had some in it. I have no way of knowing the truth of that statement unfortunately.

My 1973 Chrysler service manual says in the maintenance section to fill the PS pump with the power steering fluid and in bold print "Do not use automatic transmission fluid". Personally I've never used ATF in the PS pump of any car I've owned.

Autozone used to sell really lousy parts, especially their electrical parts (although I once bought a turn signal switch for my Firebird there that was a re-boxed Delco switch, and it has lasted me a long time), but now I'd say the majority of their parts are on par with Oreillys, Carquest, etc. Other than possibly NAPA - which we don't have here anyway - there's really no other places to buy parts that MIGHT be any better other than to order them from somewhere like Rock Auto and pay thru the ear for shipping (I always hate it that their parts always come from multiple warehouses and they charge you separately for shipping for each one). I figure with almost every car part being built or rebuilt in developing countries like Mexico or China nowadays any new part you buy is going to be about the same in terms of quality, and you better make sure you get a warranty with it.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
I've seen ATF used in power steering pumps to stop it from leaking.

Ranger

Reaction score
Autozone used to sell really lousy parts
They still do. That's how they can offer "Lifetime Warranty". I would only buy dumb parts from them, like wiper blades, bulbs, fluids etc. I once broke my own rule and bought a belt tensioner pulley from them. It lasted a month. I learned my lesson.

Last edited:
Back