• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Purchase

dobie

Reaction score
A few guys at work finally convinced me to try one....I just bought a S&W Shield in .40cal last night. These things have been pretty hard to find since they came out last year. Then with the panic, they've been all but impossible to find. Smith is saying they're about 20,000 9mm versions behind. No clue on the .40's. The .40's are easier to find however, especially with the cost of ammo nowadays.

Currently I have a Colt LW Commander and a G26 which I carry, depending on conditions. As much as I like the Glock, I've always wanted something even smaller. The Shield sure seems to fit the bill. The Colt, while a LW, is still fairly heavy. The G26, while lighter, feels like a dang brick. This Shield feels about perfect. The flush fit magazine holds 6, +1 in the pipe. The extended mag gives it 7+1 capacity. The 9mm version offers one more round respectively.

I opted for the .40 for several reasons. In such a small gun, range use will be limited. This is a carry firearm, and as such I figured I'd go a bit bigger. Our only allowed 9mm ammo is Winchester 127gr +P+ which feels like a .40 anyways. Our current issued firearms are .40, so ammo availability isnt a huge concern. Finding 9mm right now is next to impossible however.

I've shot a G27, and I really don't care for them. Too snappy for my liking. From what I have read, the Shield .40 feels a whole lot better. We'll see, as I have yet to shoot it. The first time I shoot it will probably be our off duty qualification course. What better way to break it in, eh? :D

With the 7 round mag...
1-28_zps26f880d3.jpg
The 6 round flush mag...
2-35_zpsb832dda4.jpg
And the profile...
3-36_zps0d4675a1.jpg

Side by side with my G26...Big difference in the thickness.
1-28_zpse04308a6.jpg
2-35_zps152f9f5b.jpg

mcmopar

Reaction score
Left to me by my grandfather. These are not the actual pictures of the guns but are about as close to the condition of both as you can get.
[attachment=1:1sdazwmm]hr999.jpg[/attachment:1sdazwmm]
Harrington & Richardson Model 999 Sportsman - 9 shot .22 cal. SA/DA (.22 short, long, LR) We shoot .22 short and LR at the range. This one is deadly accurate in SA for both of us.

[attachment=0:1sdazwmm]Model 622.jpg[/attachment:1sdazwmm]
Harrington & Richardson Model 622 - 6 shot .22 cal SA/DA (.22 short, long, LR). We shoot .22 short and LR at the range. Not as accurate as the Sportsman but still fun to shoot.

[attachment=2:1sdazwmm]ja380.jpg[/attachment:1sdazwmm]
Picked up a couple of Jimenez JA-380 ACP semi-auto's a few weeks ago for my wife and I at a gun show here in Orlando for CCW.
So far they have been reliable and fun to shoot. Little cannons that's for sure. I am sore today (the muscle running down below the shoulder just on the back side of the rib cage on my right side) from the kick of this little beast. We've had no problems with them despite what some might think of them (lots of people out there do not like Jimenez Arms). Both came with 2 - 6 round mags and trigger locks. $169.00 each plus all the other BS made them come out to $194+ change each. The only thing I have found so far is that the mags won't accept Remington Golden Saber hollow points so I got some Fiocchi HP's instead. Loads them just fine. We shoot standard FMJ rounds at the range.

ja380.jpg

hr999.jpg

Model 622.jpg

mcmopar

Reaction score
Went and got my wife's birthday present yesterday (her b'day is next Monday).

[attachment=0:1obu3u9f]rugSR40.jpg[/attachment:1obu3u9f]

Ruger SR40, 40 cal semi-automatic. Could not beat the price and it feels great in the hand. Easily rackable and the trigger is outstanding - 5.5 lb with small travel. I am really looking forward to firing this one. This is a home defence weapon only, I don't think she'll be carrying this one concealed.

rugSR40.jpg

mcmopar

Reaction score
Thanks, bro. I looked at the Springfield Armory XD40 and the Smith & Wesson SW40. I was leaning toward the SW40 but the trigger travel is way too long and is rated at 8.5 lbs. Then I found the Ruger SR40 and did some reading. Went and handled it and was sold. $444.99 + tax at East Orange Shooting Sports here in town.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice scores. :thumbsup:

I dragged Mrs. ACME to the flea market near our house on Sunday morning. They have a little shop there that specializes in concealed carry holsters and purses. We went to all of the trouble to get concealed carry permits and then she never carries her Bodyguard or her P238 because she doesn't have anything to put it in or it doesn't fit under her clothes... :toetap:

So she now has three different holsters, a gun-carry purse, and is finally armed... :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Thanks, bro. I looked at the Springfield Armory XD40 and the Smith & Wesson SW40. I was leaning toward the SW40 but the trigger travel is way too long and is rated at 8.5 lbs. Then I found the Ruger SR40 and did some reading. Went and handled it and was sold. $444.99 + tax at East Orange Shooting Sports here in town.
I like the feel of both he Ruger and Springfield, I have one of each. To me the Springfield shoots better but not so for my brother. (edit) Never mind I have an XDM, a bit different. This one holds 19+1 9mm home defense even my wife could hit something :lol:

DSCN4989 (640x480).jpg

dobie

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Nice scores. :thumbsup:

I dragged Mrs. ACME to the flea market near our house on Sunday morning. They have a little shop there that specializes in concealed carry holsters and purses. We went to all of the trouble to get concealed carry permits and then she never carries her Bodyguard or her P238 because she doesn't have anything to put it in or it doesn't fit under her clothes... :toetap:

So she now has three different holsters, a gun-carry purse, and is finally armed... :lol:

Haha! That's good!

I really like my MTAC for IWB carry.

mcmopar

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
mcmopar said:
I like the feel of both he Ruger and Springfield, I have one of each. To me the Springfield shoots better but not so for my brother. (edit) Never mind I have an XDM, a bit different. This one holds 19+1 9mm home defense even my wife could hit something :lol:

I looked long and hard at the Springfield Armory XD45. Found one online for $515 with holster, 2 mags (10 and 13 rounds) and mag pouch but I would have to add $60 for shipping and transfer, + buy ammo. The Ruger came in for a better price and seems to review as well as the Springfield XD. I like both of them but $$$ won out this time.

Ray, my wife is going to be carrying the JA-380 in a small pack of some kind. She never carries a purse so CCW is also an issue with her as her job as an exercise instructor affords little in the way of concealment potential under clothing. She wants to carry, though, so she'll get the little strap on pouch deal. She still wants a S&W Bodyguard, she has a thing for that laser sight. Can't put one on the JA-380. I'm thinking maybe later on this year or early next I'll be getting a Ruger SR40 as well. Might even grab a small revolver for a CCW, too.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Left to me by my grandfather. These are not the actual pictures of the guns but are about as close to the condition of both as you can get.
[attachment=1:sbhg2aw3]hr999.jpg[/attachment:sbhg2aw3]
Harrington & Richardson Model 999 Sportsman - 9 shot .22 cal. SA/DA (.22 short, long, LR) We shoot .22 short and LR at the range. This one is deadly accurate in SA for both of us.

How did I miss this???

I had one of those and loved it!

It was my ex wife's Dad's gun though and when we divorced, I gave it and his Ruger Blackhawk back to her.

I've replaced the Blackhawk, but when I found a nice H&R, I just didn't have the extra $$ to spend.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Yeah, the Sportsman is a great little gun. The prices on them these days are outrageous. I have an advertisement sheet showing a lot of the H&R guns and it shows the Sportsman's price as $54.50 back in the day. Heh, good luck finding an inexpensive one today. Every time I see one for sale it goes for $400+. It is nice to know mine is so valuable but I sure would like to pick up another one or a Model 939 Ultra-Sidekick. I just can't justify that kind of $$$ when I can get a Ruger SR40 for $450 delivered.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Yeah, the Sportsman is a great little gun. The prices on them these days are outrageous. I have an advertisement sheet showing a lot of the H&R guns and it shows the Sportsman's price as $54.50 back in the day. Heh, good luck finding an inexpensive one today. Every time I see one for sale it goes for $400+. It is nice to know mine is so valuable but I sure would like to pick up another one or a Model 939 Ultra-Sidekick. I just can't justify that kind of $$$ when I can get a Ruger SR40 for $450 delivered.
Back when I was young and single I had one of those H&Rs, nice 22 I don't even remember who I sold it to. It had that heat treated swirly bluing on it what ever that's called

Back