• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New SureGrip install

Zapa

Reaction score
hey all, been awhile. Been gathering parts for the old bird to start putting it into proper condition. Among my purchases at carlisle was a New SureGrip set in a 489 unit with 3:23's. I want to be able to swap out the 4:10's currently in it for daily driving. its over 3k RPM at highway speeds with the 4:10's. Love the gears but wanted a taller set. I've changed many center sections but have never installed a fresh one.

Is there anything i should do to lube it before installing? Any thing i should do after installing? to get the clutches working?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just make sure you get it properly filled with gear oil and an additive for the sure grip unit. Some people like to run the car with the wheels off of the ground for a few minutes (high gear at low RPM) for initial break-in with no load on the wheels.

Here is a recommended break-in procedure from Randy's:
http://www.ringpinion.com/FAQ.aspx#37

Good luck with the new unit. :cheers:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
well I guess that answers my question from the other thread. good to hear you've got plans for it.

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
roadrunnerh said:
I purchased a 742 third member from Mancinis many years ago, and like Ray said, they recommended running the car - jacking up rear with wheels off the ground, starting the car, letting it run in Drive for about 15 minutes. Here's the lube I used....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LAK-32970/

That's what I did when I swapped gears. So far so good. :thumbsup: I used Red Line's limited slip additive.

Back