• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Yorker 4dr hardtop

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a chance at a 69 New Yorker 4dr hrdtp from the second owner of this car, it's a good running 440 128000 miles the automatic has no reverse, it seems like a low option car no air, the car seems very pretty solid from what I recall and it is in reasonable shape . I kind of know the guy and the car but never looked it over like I would have a chance at buying it so I do need to give it a more critical look.

Now the questions he is firm at $1000 does that seem okay ? I would wager the body of that car has to be 500 in scrap not that I would do that.

I would like to put that motor in my GTX anyone know if that motor would have the hole in the crank for the pilot bushing?
I've heard of adapters and cutting off part of the input shaft on the tranny and I really don't want to do that either.

if doable I would like to find some other bigblock to put back in the new yorker and sell the car so yeah I'm mainly interested in the motor but i don't want it be be the demise of the car either. thanks

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I like the old land yachts, funny it doesn't have air. I think all the cranks in 69 were forged with the pilot hole, I know mine does. 1000 buck sounds pretty good to me for the car but steep for an engine so yes you do need to get something back out of it.

A31PKG

Reaction score
I remember that Ma MOPAR used to offer a special pilot bearing for 4-speed conversions ...not sure if it's still available...I'll research it...

see below...

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
$1K is a good price, but like Bob said, a little too much for just a motor. Pictures would make all the difference.
Better yet, eyeball the car and see what you think about the body as far as rust issues.

moparchris

Reaction score
Funny, I have a 68 lingering around my shop. I have been trying to sell it since its a one owner clean Ca car and has a great running 440 thats been rebuilt. Runs and drives perfectly and has a crap load of options. I dont have the heart to steal the motor and scrap it, but the 440 is worth more to me than what someone is willing to pay for the entire car. I say $1000 is probably high and $6-700 is more like it.

jays69bird

Reaction score
I had a 69 Newport 4dr sedan 383 2 barrel! We called it the Bradymobile since you could have fit the whole Brady bunch in it. I sold it in 1990 for $450 and it wasn't in bad shape. I gotta admit I liked the car.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The 69 would have the forged crank and $1000 isn't a bad price for the whole car. Probably running (with reverse) the car could be resold and if you do it right, you might have your engine and break even or even make a couple of bucks.

BTW, the lack of reverse is pretty common for those. The low/reverse band breaks. You'll need to disassemble the trans to get to it so plan accordingly. It's not a huge deal... I've done them myself, but you're taking a 43 year old trans apart. Expect to do a rebuild rather then just changing the band and a couple of gaskets.

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm going to try and get it, I know the guy thru work and I've seen the car and heard it run last year but never looked at it super critically, as always there is a catch his brother-in-law has been stroking him on buying the car but has never followed thru so he is going to offer it up to him one more time and he says I will be the next person he offers it to.Hopefully it works out, running cars like this in that decent of shape and miles are very few and far between here in Wisconsin.

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks I owe that to the N.O.S. cast caps that were one of my top 5 all time e-bay scores and one of those things that I feel guilty to use because my car is not worthy. but you only live once so why save them for someone else.

Back