• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No Beep Beep?

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
Just insalled my new horn from year one and it is not working any idea where to start looking?
I went ahead and orderd a relay I was guessing to start there. :cheers:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Check voltage to horn first and make sure the horn is grounded.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A friend of mine had the same problem, to much paint where the horn screws to the bracket. Had to scrape some off under the scerw and nut so as to go to ground :cheers:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The "correct" bolt has little teeth on the face of the washer to bite into the bracket to ground it.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
or its the horn button on the steering wheel...i fixed mine....its the windshield washer button now...who washes the windshield with that anyway..HAHA

Steve

Reaction score
Just noticed mine has decided not to work.How do I check the voltage as Big suggests.Electrics are not my strong point,which wire am I checking.
011.jpg

011.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
or its the horn button on the steering wheel...i fixed mine....its the windshield washer button now...who washes the windshield with that anyway..HAHA

my first mopar was a '73 340 4 speed (GREEN) road runner. the PO had hooked the wiper button up to start the car when the ignition switch went bad.

you coulg run a wire from the horn terminal to the + of your battery and ground the horn on the - just to make sure the horn is working. just cause it's new doesn't mean it works.....'specially electrical stuff.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Steve, it should be a one wire horn and the other dangles loose it appears you have two wires plugged into the horn. The harness was made for all Plymouth b-bodies all had two horns except the bird. The horn looks like a 68.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
my first mopar was a '73 340 4 speed (GREEN) road runner. the PO had hooked the wiper button up to start the car when the ignition switch went bad.

No, I think that is the factory set-up on a green car... :lmao:

:jester:

Steve

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Steve, it should be a one wire horn and the other dangles loose it appears you have two wires plugged into the horn. The harness was made for all Plymouth b-bodies all had two horns except the bird. The horn looks like a 68.
Bob,which should hang loose,the one on the left or the other?

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
Steve said:
69hemibeep said:
Doesn't matter which one.

Steve

Reaction score
MuscleCar91 said:
Steve said:
69hemibeep said:
Doesn't matter which one.
Thanks buddy :thumbsup:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Basketcase said:

boy some people just can't add anything constructive. I've got a ziner for you buddy boy....just as soon as I think of it...........

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
ACME A12 said:
Basketcase said:

boy some people just can't add anything constructive. I've got a ziner for you buddy boy....just as soon as I think of it...........

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Basketcase said:

:toetap: :toetap: :toetap: That's can't be right, my GREEN car has the correct color horn!!!!! and it ain't black!!:lmao:

Steve

Reaction score
Just been having another look at this today.
The horn relay is clicking when I press the horn,didn't notice this last time as I had the engine running.Does this mean the relay has gone bad and needs replacing? The horn itself is not new BTW,it came with the car and has been working fine.
002-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

A31PKG

Reaction score
I do not recall ever seeing a Road Runner horn with two terminals?? Anyone else?

At any rate, just back probe the green horn wire terminal with a 12v test light while an assistant pushes the horn button, the light should light up...

If the relay clicks, but the test lamp does not light, I would suspect poor contacts in the relay.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Steve you might be hearing the relay. I'm having a problem with that horn, I have worked with two from year one in the past and the didn't have two posts for wires and not in that location. Usually two wire horns do not use a relay one wire is hot all the time and the horn ring on the wheel completes the ground to the other wire. Forget the color here is what your horn should look like.

Steve

Reaction score
Update:
Run a test light from +battery to horn body, and also bracket/bolt,and it lights up so doesn't look like an earthing problem.
Horn does not blow with a wire direct from horn terminal to +battery.
Run a light from +battery to middle terminal on relay,it lights up,the top terminal does not however.
Checked wires from relay to horn and they are OK.
Does this look like my horn is knackered ($80 on Ebay :eek: ) I'm gonna replace the relay anyway as they're so cheap.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Steve said:
Update:
Run a test light from +battery to horn body, and also bracket/bolt,and it lights up so doesn't look like an earthing problem.
Horn does not blow with a wire direct from horn terminal to +battery.
Run a light from +battery to middle terminal on relay,it lights up,the top terminal does not however.
Checked wires from relay to horn and they are OK.
Does this look like my horn is knackered ($80 on Ebay :eek: ) I'm gonna replace the relay anyway as they're so cheap.
Steve you have the wrong horn look at the above post. Try Year one :thumbsup: You can also place the horn against the ground post of the battery and run a wire to the terminal of the horn and touch the other end to the positive, it should sound off.

Back