• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not sure if I'm happy or sad

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
:beep:

For years I looked for a picture of the '70 Roadrunner that was my first car and couldn't find one.

:horse::missing::horse::missing:

A friend of mine used to have video of it racing up at Thunder Valley in Marion, S.D. back in the 70s, but he loaned it to someone else years ago and never got it back.

:brickwall:

Today I called the custom graphics place that had painted my flames 38 years ago and the owner told me that he had kept photos of all his work and I could go to Lincoln, Nebraska to get it! I'll post a pic when I can.

:banana: :banana::banana:

Last edited:

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
First time I've had to see the old gal in over 20 years

As promised, these are a couple of pics of my old Roadrunner from the mid-seventies!

img004c.jpg

img003c.jpg

img003b.jpg

img004b.jpg

img003c.jpg

img004c.jpg

69B5

Reaction score
I had a gold 69RR that I bought in 1970 for $2100.00. I sold it to help pay for the new house we were building in 1976 for $1000.00
I tracked it down in 1986, hoping to buy it back. But it did not survive the crashes it was subjected to.
There are a lot of memories with that car, including three kid's. But we move on. I now have my B5 and it's creating a few adventures of it's own.
What say ye, Bob?

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
After I graduated high school back in '75 I went to work at WALKER Manufacturing in Seward, Nebraska. They made oem & aftermarket exhaust systems. I may not have been the brightest new hire they made.

I worked the first two days without taking any breaks because I didn't know that there was such a thing. On the 3rd day someone finally stopped and asked me why I hadn't been going up to the lunch room. Lunch room? Nobody had told me there was a lunch room. Rather than admit how naive I was, I let them think that I was just a really hard worker.

Over time I became accustomed to leaving the plant for the lunch period and driving to a bar in town that served burgers and chili. It became part of my normal day.

A snowstorm hit while I was at work one winter evening during the 2nd year I worked there. Although the weather was nasty I still followed my regular lunchtime routine. Visibility was crappy on the way into town but the road was manageable. 20 minutes later when I drove back it had changed.

Now it was a full blown blizzard. Traffic was creeping along and it was difficult to see the tail lights of cars more than about 80 foot ahead. As I approached the plant entrance drive I was barely able to make out the vehicle in front of me as he went down a steep 60 foot embankment. All I could see was the beams from his headlights as they flashed up and down through the falling snow in the sky. I was probably moving about 10 mph at the time. As I attempted to pull over to render assistance my right side wheels dropped off the concrete and the shoulder tried to pull the Roadrunner down the ditch. I eased it back onto the pavement and turned on my flashers.

As I opened the driver's door to step out, I noticed headlights coming up fast from behind. I dove back into the car and braced against the steering wheel with both arms. The pickup had spun around one and a half times before striking the back of the Roadrunner in the middle of the back bumper. It was estimated that he was doing around 65 mph at the moment of impact. My rear bumper was pushed half the distance in towards my rear window. Somehow nobody got hurt (other than a severe whiplash on my part). My roll bar supports had limited the impact damage. Without it the car would have buckled beyond repair.

The pickup driver was the son of one of the Seward county sheriff deputies. They tried to sue me for damages because I was stopped on the highway. It was thrown out of court when my insurance company's lawyers pointed out that Nebraska state law required that I stop to give assistance as first person on the scene or be subject to legal ramifications. Although I was found NOT to be at fault, Seward county law enforcement harassed me relentlessly for years afterwards. (the stories I could tell)

I think I began to have a bit of a darker personality after my experience. When it was time to have the car fixed, I decided to change the color from Go Mango to black. Eventually I added the flames.

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
I got an update on my old '70 RR today. I had posted the pictures of it on a Facebook group site called 'Back In The Day Muscle Car Photos'. A guy that had bought the shell after the car had been stripped sent me a message. The car was crushed after everything had been parted out. He still had the Roadrunner quarter panel emblems from it in his garage. He said he'd send them to me. I guess I'll have something from it to put on the toolbox as a memento.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
at least that's something. wonder what ever happened to my old Charger?

Budnicks

I will apologize to everyone in advance
Reaction score
I got an update on my old '70 RR today. I had posted the pictures of it on a Facebook group site called 'Back In The Day Muscle Car Photos'. A guy that had bought the shell after the car had been stripped sent me a message. The car was crushed after everything had been parted out. He still had the Roadrunner quarter panel emblems from it in his garage. He said he'd send them to me. I guess I'll have something from it to put on the toolbox as a memento.

That's not the outcome, we all were looking for I'm sure,
Pretty sad, I usually don't try to find too many of my old cars, I fear the same type answers,

One I know what happened...
I sold my 1st 68 Charger R/T to a cousin after driving it as my DD for over 10 years, hot rod cruse car...
I wanted to concentrate on my 68 RR 9.90 Super Gas car & my 23 T Altered AA-Gas or Super Eliminator 7.90 car
{among other cars/trucks I had}, kind of needed the room more than the $$$,
the Charger had 10-12 different engine combos, 2 paint jobs, I loved that car, he wouldn't stop bugging me,
last color was 77 Corvette Bright Yellow & a 80's Pro-Stock style hood scoop in about 1981,
I had swapped out gears in the rear, so he would have a more street friendly ratio, didn't have time to finish had to go to work,
I told him to make sure to put gear oil in the rear, before he drove it, he towed it home on my trailer, the tranny was out of it at the time,
he ended up putting the trans back in, with problems I may add, then he drove it with no gear oil, it locked up the rear allegedly anyway,
he stuffed it into a embankment by his house, while doing a burn out...

Then he had the gull to blame me... he ended up having it hauled off to the wrecking yard, well his mother did,
he didn't tell me until way after the fact, but at-least he did take the interior, engine & trans out 1st...
he could have put a front clip on it for about $500 back then

I was pissed, I'd have got the car back...
oh well that's life

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
That's not the outcome, we all were looking for I'm sure,
Pretty sad, I usually don't try to find too many of my old cars, I fear the same type answers,

One I know what happened...
I sold my 1st 68 Charger R/T to a cousin after driving it as my DD for over 10 years, hot rod cruse car...
I wanted to concentrate on my 68 RR 9.90 Super Gas car & my 23 T Altered AA-Gas or Super Eliminator 7.90 car {among other cars/trucks I had}
the Charger had 10-12 different engine combos, 2 paint jobs, I loved that car, he wouldn't stop bugging me,
last color was 77 Corvette Bright Yellow & a 80's Pro-Stock style hood scoop in about 1981,
I had swapped out gears in the rear, so he would have a more street friendly ratio, didn't have time to finish had to go to work,
I told him to make sure to put gear oil in the rear, before he drove it, he towed it home on my trailer, the tranny was out of it at the time,
he ended up putting the trans back in, with problems I may add, then he drove it with no gear oil, it locked up the rear allegedly anyway,
he stuffed it into a embankment by his house, while doing a burn out...

Then he had the gull to blame me... he ended up having it hauled off to the wrecking yard, well his mother did,
he didn't tell me until way after the fact, but at-least he did take the interior, engine & trans out 1st...
he could have put a front clip on it for about $500 back then

I was pissed, I'd have got the car back...
oh well that's life

I tell you Budnicks, some times you end up biting yourself in the butt when you try to make buddy deals like that. - Sad to hear of the Chargers' demise. I still cut guys breaks on parts and cars and stuff, but now I expect the worst when I do. - That way I'm less heartbroke by the outcomes. I'm glad my old SixPack Bee went to a buddy (not too far away) that appreciates it. - I just wish he'd drive it more often.

Back