• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Now I know why six packs aren't on every big block.

zupanj

Reaction score
Thanks. I actually had that saved but had not looked at it for a long time. A lot of info on the site.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You know..... 90% of carb problems are electrical.... just saying....[/QUOTE said:
I know what your saying but out of context that sounds like something I'd say :lmao::lmao::lmao: Just saying

Rocket

Reaction score
None of the suggestions worked. 7.62 or 5.56?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you any of you six pack guys use the Carter 4845? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-m4845/overview/
I have a 3/8" supply with a 1/4" return after the pump it goes down to 5/16 via a 5/16" nipple . Am I creating too much pressure by necking it down?

I have one (closest to the original A12 pump currently available) but it is not on the car. Lots of A12 guys use this pump w/ no issues. Doubtful that you are creating a problem with this set-up.

Rocket

Reaction score
Well I thought a bunch about what I have changed since the last time I had her running halfway decent.
*Sent FBO mechanical distributor back and Don converted it back to vacuum advance. I thought maybe I set it in 180 deg off but I checked today. put finger over #1 waited tip it pushed my finger off and it was close enough to TDC that I opened up the distributor and it was pointing at #1. SO that isn't it.
*I rebuilt carbs took my time and did it right (but that could be it). So I had disconnected and reconnected vacuum and fuel lines (pretty sure this is sorted),
* While I was messing with it yesterday I discovered I may have had the idle screws in outboard carbs out too much so I ran them out about a half turn. The rear carb screws slot broke one side so now it is in all the way. Have to figure out how to remove it now and I hope and pray the little piece didn't go down in my manifold.
*I checked the plug wires because I had to remove a few of them to get the fuel line sorted.
* Then as I was getting it semi started the rear carb started shooting fuel up through the top AND the cheap ass Holley window twisted off in my hand.
* I am a little overwhelmed with it right now. Might put it up for a while. I am real happy with the progress and my renewed interest in it.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
It won't start or run if the distributor was 180° out.

If you have fuel squirting out of the end carb, your float level may be too high or the float is stuck.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
It won't start or run if the distributor was 180° out.

If you have fuel squirting out of the end carb, your float level may be too high or the float is stuck.

I have heard that there are times that an aftermarket metering plate may interfere with the movement of the float thus causing the fuel coming out the top.

Rocket

Reaction score
I had to double up the bowl gasket to stop that actually.

Rocket

Reaction score
Sending the carbs off to Promax tomorrow. I'll let them sort it out and I will let you know the results.
Thanks for all your help guys!

dutchrunner

Reaction score
Did you put the bouble gaskets and steel plate back along with the meterplates?
Than the float gets stuck.
Had same problem with my 6BBL 528RB.
Also had to notch the carb body to have clearance for the PV.

Also note that with my 528RB the Ventury vacuum was too strong for the black springs in vacuum diaphragm of outboard.
Used a T-off with adapter and used jets to create airbleed.

Rocket

Reaction score
Bob Karakashian - Coolest cat on the planet. Walked me through getting my 6 pack rolling - thing runs great now!

Back