• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

nuther truck?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
was up at my Uncle's yesterday. He has an '86 D100 long bed that has been sitting since '03. 318 auto. he put an MP intake and a new AFB, along with a little bigger cam. about a year after he did that, his county in Pa adopted emissions inspection. He has a buddy that has an inspection station, and was able to get the truck to pass. But it got to be a hassle, so he parked the truck. He asked me yesterday If I'd like the truck for free. He's going after a '91 Dodge Cummins 4x4. His '86 needs a passenger fender,both doors either replaced or the bottoms patched. and the bed is shot above the rear wheel wells, which are bad too. The fender and the doors won't be a problem. I thought about patch panels for the bed, and getting bed fender wells from a bone yard. It does have some small holes above the windshield, but shouldn't be much to fix. The truck has ac, but not hooked up, but everything is there. It's black with a red interior. And the dual exhaust neds replaced.
One thought was fix the '86 and sell my shortbed. Another was use the good doors and fender off the '85, then sell mine. I like the \6 and 4 spped OD, but with the hills around here, a V8 would be better. My '85 has 120,000+ miles, and the '86 has 56,000 miles.
Thoughts?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Which truck has the better body?

You could switch drive trains or even switch cabs.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
well, the bed on mine is shot. Between the rust, and a major dent, it's not fixable. I'd like to get a step side for that, but they're pricey, or on the wrong side of the country. and 8 foot beds are easier and cheaper to find. the cab is good, except for the drivers floor. the doors are good. both fenders have a couple minor rust issues, but the passenger fender is well worth putting on the other truck. the hood has a decent sized dent in it.
I've been thinking about swapping my doors and the fender from mine to his. and that would save the engine swap. both frames are good. his cab is good except for the few small holes above the windshield. and the automatic would be more user friendly when all three of us need to take a truck somewhere.
put the better sheetmetal on the '86, and sell my '85.?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with Big; it's all about keeping the better body. Establish that and use the V8 drivetrain with less miles... You could get a flywheel/clutch/bellhousing set-up and keep the 4-speed too if you wanted...I would... :D

Ray

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I agree sounds like a good plan, now you have a summer project :thumbsup:

with a chance at getting the car done, that's my main project this summer.
I've made a list of pros,cons, and what both trucks need. I'm really leaning towards my Uncle's truck. take the good doors and fender off mine, and pedeal it to help pay for the paint job on the car.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
I'm really leaning towards my Uncle's truck. take the good doors and fender off mine, and pedeal it to help pay for the paint job on the car.

Green pigments have really gone through the roof this year due to all of the ozone hole/Britney Spears/Global Warming/Nikkei Index/Barack Brezhnev/offshore drilling/gum on the sidewalks in Singapore/maxipad shortage/etc. issues currently confronting us. You'll probably want to just stay with the yellow... :lmao:

:jester:
ACME "B5" A12

Roadcuda

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Basketcase said:
I'm really leaning towards my Uncle's truck. take the good doors and fender off mine, and pedeal it to help pay for the paint job on the car.

Green pigments have really gone through the roof this year due to all of the ozone hole/Britney Spears/Global Warming/Nikkei Index/Barack Brezhnev/offshore drilling/gum on the sidewalks in Singapore/maxipad shortage/etc. issues currently confronting us. You'll probably want to just stay with the yellow... :lmao:

ACME "B5" A12
What he say?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Basketcase said:

ACME "B5" A12

I found a fizzy can of B5 touch up paint the other day. I sprayed it in the trunck to see how it would look. as soon as the blue hit the yellow, it went to F8...... :jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
well after most of the day Thursday, and until 2am Friday, I FINALLY got the truck home. Been a while since I had a multi'colored vehicle(and before any of the desert rat wizenheimers jump in...there's no green, but there is a BLUE tail gate.not a 383, but definatly not a tired \6. I can see me getting in trouble with this truck :drive:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
That generation of truck is when the Dodge boys got the styling right :thumbsup:

Back