• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Octane Booster

RR383

Reaction score
Opinions on this very subjective topic. Is it really "snake oil" in the end? Or does it have its place in specific applications? :huh:

Ranger

Reaction score
I think it is snake oil, as are most aftermarket fuel, oil and coolant additives. They are intended to transfer money from your pocket to theirs.

93 octane is enough to satisfy most engines needs and the 10% ethanol (that is almost unavoidable) increases the octane rating even more.

I would rather spend the money on 93 octane fuel.

RR383

Reaction score
I was kind of hoping this would have been the response I would have received. Although if one had to choose...I'm just saying...I heard 104 is the choice....short of race fuel. Thanks for your thoughts

moparchris

Reaction score
Octane boosters don't work. Buy a 5 gallon pale of race gas, that works way better. put a few gallons in on each fill up.

RR383

Reaction score
Octane boosters don't work. Buy a 5 gallon pale of race gas, that works way better. put a few gallons in on each fill up.

Would race fuel be only applicable to high compression engines with ratios above 10:1.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
No but you can slow the burn too much on a low compression motor and lose power on say at 8 or 8.5-1 for sure naturally aspirated

Demonram

Reaction score
Hey 69, I know this is an old post but, I moved to Az in November and can't find anything higher then 91 octane. I've got a 451 with 10.5 comp, I've got the timing set back, still getting detonation. Can you tell me where to get at least 93 fuel? I'm in Gilbert, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Howard.

Demonram

Reaction score
A guy I know works in aviation. He said it's not legal to sell for cars. Thanks

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A guy I know works in aviation. He said it's not legal to sell for cars. Thanks
That's because it has drying agents in it but it mixes with gas just fine. How far are you from Stellar airpark in Chandler? My buddy drives right up to the pump and fills his barrel up there

Demonram

Reaction score
Not to far. I also looked up the gas stations you listed in Mesa, I'm gonna head up this week and give them a shot. It's funny how 93 was the premium in Illinois and Wisconsin. I wouldn't have thought it would be such a big deal. I also saw 85 as we were coming through the mountains, don't understand why.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
we have a local station that has 110 octane

RKNRLR

Reaction score
on a recent road trip i ran out of gas at the freeway exit and rolled into a little town, across 2 sets of traffic lights and ito the first servo i found. they only had 95 RON ( i normally run 98 RON, probably equivalent to 93/94 in the US), and noticed some pinging, especially under load ( pedal down up steep hills).
The next day I added an octane boost, and filled the remainder of the tank (about 1/4) with 98, didnt get any more pinging.

Back