• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

octane booster

A31PKG

Reaction score
The 383-440 value should be between 3 1/2 to 5 psi. The 426 should be 7-8 1/2 psi. I do not recall the exact specs on my Carter elec pump, but the pressure was well within the correct range. I want to say 5 psi+/-. I'm certain that the needle & seat could withstand a higher pressure, but I went with factory specs. The mounting location was more a matter of convenience than anything. There was already a hole in the rear shock crossmember (I believe its from the factory) and it was close to the outlet pipe of the fuel tank/sending unit, so I used it.

red 69 runner

Reaction score
Took a long time but I finally got everything back together,since my last post I took my eddy 750 carb to get rebuilt and the guy gave it back in pieces,it was so full of dirt and rust he said I would be better off buying a new one and it was the carb that came on the car and the PO was a guy that bought everything used.he also said that the jets were over sized and the 750 was probly a bit too much for my stock 383,so I bought an edelbrock 1406 (600 cfm)replaced the stock cast manifold with a wieand dual plane,blanked off the heat crossover and installed the cool carb spacer oh and dont let me forget the most important thing I replaced the original rust and dirt filled gas tank with a brand new repop.Fired it up tonight and it runs great,got it up to full operating temp and shut it off then came back about 45 min later and it fired right up and no smell of gas when I shut it off and closed the garage door.could have been just a bad carb thinking about it now but the cool carb spacer really seems to keep the carb cool,get his phone # off the web site and talk direct to him the web site is not that informative.

dobie

Reaction score
Glad to hear she's running good now.

On a side note, for the guys mixing 110 race gas, what's your ratio? A gallon or two for every tank?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I have a chart some where but I think a gallon to a full b-body tank will buy you a point. So a couple of gallons should work and you could use more depending on your set up. To much on a low compression engine can hurt performance because it will cause to slow of burn. I use 25% in an Iron headed 11.25-1 AMC and the roadrunner gets the leftovers, but again our premium gas is only 89 octane.

dobie

Reaction score
Dang. That would be some cash right there.....

I can get 110 for $35/5 gallon. Of course that doesn't include the price of premium fuel.....

Anyone try 100LL av gas for a cheaper alternative? Its about $30/5 gallons. Not much of a price difference tho.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
dobie said:
Dang. That would be some cash right there.....

I can get 110 for $35/5 gallon. Of course that doesn't include the price of premium fuel.....

Anyone try 100LL av gas for a cheaper alternative? Its about $30/5 gallons. Not much of a price difference tho.
What Chris said is 25% same as me and at $8 a gallon 1/4 of a 55 gallon drum gets real costly to go to the dunes and play. Steve do you need more octane or is it just insurance. AV gas is hard to get at my local airport but it works well. On another note my buddy and I were going to the track after work and run his 5.0 Capri that he had just added some mods to. I believe they are an 8-1 compression and designed for regular fuel, well he thought on the way home he would throw some premium in for racing and it became an absolute pig, too much octane for the old 5.0 :lol:

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Have been reading the posts for the Octane Booster, I also have a six pack set up on my engine. I have decided to drop the mechanical fuel pump and use an electric pump instead. I am familiar with the Holley brand, however, there are many others that may be better? There are so many to choose from Holley, Carter, Walbro, and Edelbrock to name a few. What are your thouhgts?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
4spd69RR said:
Have been reading the posts for the Octane Booster, I also have a six pack set up on my engine. I have decided to drop the mechanical fuel pump and use an electric pump instead. I am familiar with the Holley brand, however, there are many others that may be better? There are so many to choose from Holley, Carter, Walbro, and Edelbrock to name a few. What are your thouhgts?
You will get allot of different opinions but I like the Carter RV pump, it moves a ton of gas and is self regulated to something like 7 psi so no regulator needed.

dobie

Reaction score
I doubt I need the higher octane. My 383 is an original low compression motor now with some head/valve work, bigger can, and headers.

Two yrs ago when I tried 110 I noticed that it ran better, and a bit cooler. Plus, I love that race gas smell!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
dobie said:
I doubt I need the higher octane. My 383 is an original low compression motor now with some head/valve work, bigger can, and headers.

Two yrs ago when I tried 110 I noticed that it ran better, and a bit cooler. Plus, I love that race gas smell!
A gallon or two won't hurt or brake the bank, I kinda like the smell of AV gas :crazy:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
they have that stuff you can put in the tank that smells like donuts but then all the police will be chasing you........love the smell of av gas too :groucho:

dobie

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
they have that stuff you can put in the tank that smells like donuts but then all the police will be chasing you........love the smell of av gas too :groucho:

So then I could basically just chase myself huh?
:cheers:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
dobie said:
george68hemirr said:

Like a dog chasing its tail :lol:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
dobie said:
george68hemirr said:

Dobie.....i knew you wold like that :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

V269

Reaction score
4spd69RR said:

I've been using a carter pump for years and never had any problems with it at all. :thumbsup:

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
dobie said:
george68hemirr said:

Like a dog chasing its tail :lol:
Guess that would be doing doughnuts right :rimshot:

Back