• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Blacking small parts

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
Just wanted to share some info... I just hope it's actually useful...

I decided to try a different way of finishing some small steel parts on my Runner. This process is known as "oil blacking." Basically your heating up your part with a torch, then submerging it in used dirty motor oil. It's the same idea as a cast iron skillet when you heat and season them over and over and it turns the metal a solid black.

We've been using this method for years to finish steel and iron tattoo machine frames with great luck. So far, the finish has never come off and it seems to have prevented much if any rust from forming. As you know, flat black paint doesn't look correct and usually holds up for 5 minutes... and the metal blackening kits sold so far have SUCKED!

I'm sure they sell chemicals to do this, but I didn't have any on hand... however I did have plenty of used motor oil.

These are the alternator spacers from my car. The two larger ones are a year old and already beginning to rust
spacers1.jpg

These are the spacers wire wheeled and cleaned
spacers2.jpg

And here they are after blacking. The smallest one is a little spotty, I don't think I cleaned it enough, but the other two look great. The finish is kind of like gun bluing, only blacker.
spacers3.jpg

If you try it, do it OUTSIDE! The smoke is God awful and the part can ignite, LOL. Use a metal container and just enough oil to submerge the part. You don't need to get the parts cherry red, just really really hot. I still need a little practice to get the method down pat...

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I'll be sending you mine.......... :D thanks for the tip Chris

Back