• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Pan Capacity

JJRJR

Reaction score
Guys, I'm going to see the finished 383 build on Saturday. One of the many issues I've encountered was the size of the oil pan. At first, I got the 7 quart Milidon, but then was cautioned that the ground clearance on the front end may be an issue. Long story short, I told the engine builder to return the 7 quart and get something not as deep.

He got Milidon PN 30760, which looks to be a 4 quart stock pan. My build is "sort of" serious; far from stock. Is that factory sized pan going to be ok? On one hand I'm thinking if they used the 4 quart pans on the big 440's (not sure about the Hemi's), then it should be fine. On the other I'm thinking more oil is better?

Any help?

Thanks,

John

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
If you go with the 30761 Milodon pan.

It's a 6qt. pan same as the Hemi pan and looks about the same size as your 30760 pan.

That's the one I'm going to use since my 4qt(402) one got alittle dinged-up :lol:

nicanor

Reaction score
I also called Summit Racing and they said the same thing. You have the 4 qt oil pan and the number you want is mil-30761.

Sorry to re-post, but just wanted to help if possible.

Thanks,
Barry

JJRJR

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will get the 6 quart #30761.

Best,

John

JJRJR

Reaction score
Told the engine guy to get the 6 quart. Seems odd that the Milidon pans don't have a provision for an oil dip stick?? Is that normal? How do you check the oil?

John

A31PKG

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean about "provision"? The tube is pressed into the block near the pan rail (left side) and then the dipstick passes through a hole in the windage tray...that's about it unless I'm missing something??

nicanor

Reaction score
I used the same oil pan and the dip stick to check oil is not a problem.

JJRJR

Reaction score
Oh, I must have misunderstood what it meant when the oil pan details said "dipstick provision" = "no". I thought I saw someone else here post that you can't check the oil between oil changes??

John

JJRJR

Reaction score
abodybill said:

It's a 6qt. pan same as the Hemi pan and looks about the same size as your 30760 pan.

That's the one I'm going to use since my 4qt(402) one got alittle dinged-up :lol:

On Summit website, this pan is only for Hemi? Will it work on my 383 in 60 Runner??

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
JJRJR said:
abodybill said:

On Summit website, this pan is only for Hemi? Will it work on my 383 in 60 Runner??

That's a Big Block pan.

Will work on them all-383,440,Hemi. :thumbsup:

Back