• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pan fun

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm working on getting my 69 New yorker 440 ready to put in my GTX, I'm researching the oil pan and it is a "187" oil pan and the B-bodies have the "402" pan. Anyone have any ideas if the 187 pan will work for me or what would be the cheapest way out of the problem. The car has a 383 in it now and that motor I plan on moving into another car so stealing that pan isn't an option. I really really need to keep this project on the cheap so a $200 pan plus $? for a oil pickup is something I need to avoid. Any ideas? thanks

moparchris

Reaction score
3BIRDS1X said:
I'm working on getting my 69 New yorker 440 ready to put in my GTX, I'm researching the oil pan and it is a "187" oil pan and the B-bodies have the "402" pan. Anyone have any ideas if the 187 pan will work for me or what would be the cheapest way out of the problem. The car has a 383 in it now and that motor I plan on moving into another car so stealing that pan isn't an option. I really really need to keep this project on the cheap so a $200 pan plus $? for a oil pickup is something I need to avoid. Any ideas? thanks

I know the 187 is what you want for an A body. The pan should work with the B body K frame.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Only difference in the 187 pan is it has a notch built into it to clear the pitman arm on a BB in an A-body car.

Had that in my 69 Dart GTS.

Will work like Chris said.

The 402 are being repoped from china and I wouldn't want one on my engine.

Took me 3/4 months to find a 402 after I dropped the engine on the shop floor :yesnod:

picked one up at a swapmeet for $40 and just had to paint it.

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
Good to hear it should work, thanks that's a load off my mind, I'm used to doing stuff twice but still try to avoid it whenever I can.
I will proceed with plan "A"
:cheers:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
abodybill said:
Only difference in the 187 pan is it has a notch built into it to clear the pitman arm on a BB in an A-body car.

Had that in my 69 Dart GTS.

Will work like Chris said.

The 402 are being repoped from china and I wouldn't want one on my engine.

Took me 3/4 months to find a 402 after I dropped the engine on the shop floor :yesnod:

picked one up at a swapmeet for $40 and just had to paint it.
Hey Bill, what did you do with that custom 3 quart pan and pickup :acme: :jester:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Hey Bill, what did you do with that custom 3 quart pan and pickup :acme: :jester:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad to hear everything worked out for you, Rich. :cheers:

Back