• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pressure issues

rick ben

Reaction score
My 1969 road runner 383 developed a lifter rattle at startup. I replaced lifters and pushrods and put Lucas Hot rod oil in my 7 qt. oil pan. This didn't help. Ticking lasts about 20 secs. with no oil pressure from my new mechanical gauge. After the 20 secs of ticking the oil pressure eventually reaches 60psi at idle but drops to 35psi at 3500 rpm. I've tried changing the oil from 10w-30 to 20w-50 to straight 30w. No good. Any input will be appreciated..

Last edited:

V.R.D

Reaction score
have you cut open the oil filter to see if any mettle in in it ?

you can remove a valve cover and see how much oil is coming to the rockers. you should down load the service manual and read the engine chapter.

you can remove the oil pump off the engine to replace and inspect the pump with out removing the engine.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Nothing like no good oil pressure. But to me 35 psi at 35 hundred rpm is not bad. Did you change the oil filter to a Wix filter. That is what I am running. Also did you put zinc additive in when changing the oil. It is suggested to add that when changing oil with flat tappet engines. Hope you get it figured out.

Back