Oil sending unit or gauge or worse?

Engine & Related

1. woodwiz

woodwiz Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2020
    When I start the 383 the oil pressure gauge creeps up to 20+psi and once real warm more like 35+. Went for a drive today nothing over 50 in town. Looked down at the oil pressure gauge and noticed several times that the gauge read 20psi or less. Got back and pulled in to shut her down and it was back at 30psi. What do any of you guys think might be going on?
    Hoping for the best!

2. Roadtrip

Roadtrip Well-Known Member

May 12, 2017
    Is the oil level okay?

Russ69Runner likes this.
  3. 69hemibeep

69hemibeep Sponge Bob Square Wheels

Sep 10, 2008
    10 lbs of pressure for every 1000 RPM is a good rule of thumb

Russ69Runner likes this.
  4. Russ69Runner

Russ69Runner Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Is the oil line to the gauge ever been drained. If not then would suggest to take it loose at the gauge and run the motor till you see clean oil coming out at the gauge. If the line and all is new and the gauge then could be something else. Use a big pan to drain the oil at the gauge. LOL.

5. quikbird

quikbird Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2014
    When you start the car you should get a higher oil pressure. As it warms up and the oil gets a little thinner it will drop a little and the even lower at idle

6. woodwiz

Dec 10, 2020
    hey Russ i'll do you one better,I'm going to use the spare tire for any extra oil i need for road trips...Hope and pray we don't get a flat..LOL!!
    But all kidding aside i have a full crankcase of oil and i changed the sending unit today and fired her up and she went to 50psi and as she warmed and came off fast idle she hovered at 45psi...Much better!

Russ69Runner likes this.
  7. Russ69Runner

Aug 4, 2016
    Their you go. Some thing simple. Those sending unit's go bad also.

8. woodwiz

Dec 10, 2020
    Now if I could be so lucky with the water temp gauge or sending unit.

Russ69Runner likes this.
  9. Russ69Runner

Aug 4, 2016
    Have no gauge but idiot light on this car. Tried to take out the sending unit and it broke off trying to take it out. Lucky that the housing was off the car and had to drill it out and tap it. That was something I was not looking forward to. Did get the heater pipes out with out a problem. Those are the items I have had twist off before on other car's. They where just rotted out so bad. Would brake off at the treads. Put new stainless steel fitting's in. JB blaster on the fitting and heat gun. May have to soak it several times. Good luck buddy. These old car's that parts have been locked in for so many years are not easy to remove.