• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OK, lets see who knows best.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
lack of power...
ign timing incorrect
vacuum advance not operating probably
ignition points shot
faulty spark plugs
faulty ignition cable
faulty ignition coil
faulty carburetion
lack of engine compression
preignition
inoperative manifold heater valve...stuck closed
restricted carburetor inlet resulting from dirty air cleaner or choke valve not fully open
carburetor throttle lever loose on shaft
carburetor accelerating pump not functioning properly
improper fuel pump operation
partially restricted exhaust pipe,muffler or tail pipes
George did you just get that out of the service manual :toetap: :jester:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
lack of power...
ign timing incorrect: Checked with light, cam not degreed yet.
vacuum advance not operating probably: Not checked.
ignition points shot: New
faulty spark plugs: New
faulty ignition cable: New
faulty ignition coil: New
faulty carburetion: Changed Carb with same results.
lack of engine compression: Not checked yet.
preignition: Even idles rough.
inoperative manifold heater valve...stuck closed: Doesn't have one.
restricted carburetor inlet resulting from dirty air cleaner or choke valve not fully open: 2 carbs same issue.
carburetor throttle lever loose on shaft: 2 Carbs same issue.
carburetor accelerating pump not functioning properly: 2 carbs same issue.
improper fuel pump operation: Shoots a stream about 5 foot.
partially restricted exhaust pipe,muffler or tail pipes: Not checked..............

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
george68hemirr said:
lack of power...
ign timing incorrect
vacuum advance not operating probably
ignition points shot
faulty spark plugs
faulty ignition cable
faulty ignition coil
faulty carburetion
lack of engine compression
preignition
inoperative manifold heater valve...stuck closed
restricted carburetor inlet resulting from dirty air cleaner or choke valve not fully open
carburetor throttle lever loose on shaft
carburetor accelerating pump not functioning properly
improper fuel pump operation
partially restricted exhaust pipe,muffler or tail pipes
George did you just get that out of the service manual :toetap: :jester:

hell no....i pulled all this from my gearhead brain...yes

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
OK, I'm home now. Passenger side has everything intact. Driver side has rocker shaft and arms removed. Compression test on side with rocker shaft and arms:
2 145 psi
4 140 psi
6 140 psi
8 95 psi
Also, when I pulled the #8 plug, it looked like it had never fired..............I'm headed back out to check compression on the other bank so that the cam should have absolutely no effect.............stay tuned........... :popcorn:

Please give me your input............

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Well after jacking around for over an hour I realized that not having the valve train on was air locking the cylinder when I hooked my compression tester up to it..........I was getting like 28 psi..........duh............put the rocker shaft and arms back on and got 135-140 psi on 1 3 5 and 7. Now I'm going to put the rocker shaft and arms on the pasenger side and recheck the #8 to make sure I had my compression tester on tight.......... :brickwall: Any comments on the clean plug on #8? :popcorn:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
vacuum leak....lean condition
I looked long and hard for a vacuum leak with no luck. When I popped off the passenger side valve cover I got a real strong gasoline odor out of there......... :huh:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
george68hemirr said:
I looked long and hard for a vacuum leak with no luck. When I popped off the passenger side valve cover I got a real strong gasoline odor out of there......... :huh:

did you blow a power valve or needle and seat by-pass??

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
Hoosier Bird said:
george68hemirr said:

did you blow a power valve or needle and seat by-pass??
This is the first time I've done anything to this car since I bought it. What ever is wrong with it, it was that way when I bought it..........? :huh:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
george68hemirr said:

if you smell gas its in your oil too

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
Hoosier Bird said:
george68hemirr said:

if you smell gas its in your oil too
The weird thing is it only smells like that on the passenger side........I'll go back out and check that again just to make sure..........I hope the #8 goes up. Although my chilton says 150 psi is a good # so I'm not too far off except for #8.

george68hemirr

Reaction score
i ran into this with the hemi....i dont know what carb you are running but when i blew out my one power valve on my back dominator #8 was full of gas...if i were you after you figure this out dump the oil and filter cause its deluded with gas

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Bad news........wet, #8 checks 130........I guess I'll check out the cam tomorrow and see if the timing chain looks good........I don't think the drop in pressure in #8 would cause all these issues.......anyway, I'm a little baffled............the clean #8 and low pressure on the same cylinder makes me wonder if they are connected somehow.... :huh:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Bad news........wet, #8 checks 130........I guess I'll check out the cam tomorrow and see if the timing chain looks good........I don't think the drop in pressure in #8 would cause all these issues.......anyway, I'm a little baffled............the clean #8 and low pressure on the same cylinder makes me wonder if they are connected somehow.... :huh:
Looks like you have a ring or piston problem which could be caused by a no fire and washing the cylinder and rings down with gas :rolleyes:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
I guess tonight I'm going to strip the front of the motor and check the cam..........If I can't figure anything out with that then I will assume that it must be in the distributor. At that point I'm just going to take it out and freshen it up. Put my new stuff on and give up on this mystery........... :huh:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
I guess tonight I'm going to strip the front of the motor and check the cam..........If I can't figure anything out with that then I will assume that it must be in the distributor. At that point I'm just going to take it out and freshen it up. Put my new stuff on and give up on this mystery........... :huh:

Gary what about the change in #8 when tested wet? What's your plan to address that? That usually indicates an issue with the rings as Bob stated...or did I miss something...?

Ray

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Hoosier Bird":2kyqovrh]I guess tonight I'm going to strip the front of the motor and check the cam..........If I can't figure anything out with that then I will assume that it must be in the distributor. At that point I'm just going to take it out and freshen it up. Put my new stuff on and give up on this mystery........... :huh:

Gary what about the change in #8 when tested wet? What's your plan to address that? That usually indicates an issue with the rings as Bob stated...or did I miss something...?

Ray[/quote:2kyqovrh]
I will definately address that. I was hoping for a good short block. I am going to pop the heads off tonight and I'm hoping to not find an 8:1 compression motor. I'll let you know tonight though. I hope I find something that stands out. :huh:

John69RR

Reaction score
It sounds far fetched, but check the #8 plug for continuity. I encountered one years ago where the electrode inside the insulator broke. When you shook the plug you could hear the electrode moving inside the plug. Looking at the plug, it looked normal. Just my $.02

sam z

Reaction score
I won't add any tech assistance but I went through this before.
I bought a 67 coronet with a tired 383. Being young and over
anxious, I bought the car. It lacked power, and who would have
guessed my #8 cylinder was weak. Sounds like you are in a similar
situation.

When I bought the present car I had a leak down test done by
a shop. It cleared fined. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on
me.

Back