• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Spark Plugs

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Big John said:
Basketcase said:
Autolit/Mopar plugs...that just seems so worng.

Chrysler was one of Autolite's largest customers until Ford bought Autolite in 1961.

Know what AC stands for on AC spark plugs?
No :huh:

Albert Champion!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
That was close, I almost went a full day without learning something :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
69hemibeep said:
[quote="Big John":10trb798]Know what AC stands for on AC spark plugs?
No :huh:

Albert Champion![/quote:10trb798]

So he sold out to GM and then started Champion??? C'mon...don't leave us hanging...

:jester:

Big John

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
So he sold out to GM and then started Champion??? C'mon...don't leave us hanging...

:jester:

Other way around. The Champion ignition company investors kicked him to the curb so he started AC with Buick. Buick got bought a few years later by Alfred Sloan when he was forming GM so part of AC came with the deal. When Champion died, GM bought the rest of the company from the estate.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, Big. Interesting story. I like any automotive-related history as you have probably picked up on...

Big John

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Thanks, Big. Interesting story. I like any automotive-related history as you have probably picked up on...

If you ever get a chance, read Menno Duerksen's "History of the Great American Classics". It has the history of eight of the classic cars built in the US including the Duesenberg, Stutz, Packard and the Franklin. The Franklin factory was right across the street from where my business is now. Its also has the history of a really interesting steam car called the Doble. Great reading!

Back