• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Online reference for chassis/underside markings?

Smokngun

Reaction score
Hi guys, is there an online resource for all the paint splotches, grease pencil marks, and stamps on the underside of the car? Torsion bars, 8-3/4 center section gear ratio markings, 'bolts torquesd" markings, etc. Specifically for a 69 RR. I remember when my dad restored his 64 Polara 500 Convert he obsessed over this stuff. I want to do it as more of a wow factor for anyone that crawls under the car at the drag strip or cruise night as a "This guy actually drives this car?" kind of thing.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
This is so subjective. First you have all the different plants then all the different inspectors what are you going to copy they were all different. I copied what I found on my car when restoring it. I didn't want to have a LA plant marking on a Lynch Rd. plant car and have to try to explain the mistake. They would sometimes make an abbreviated notes that means nothing on your model of car. Is there a website? I don't think so

droptop

Reaction score
There is a thread on here call "Back to factory specs" or something like that. It is a G code St. Louis built car if you want to put your faith into this guys work.

mahoney0_00_3

Reaction score
if your vin is rm27h9g the g is st Louis- my hemi car was a were the g is and that is a Detroit car like rm23j8a 1968 h/t hemi 4 sp Detroit built dam that just get my blood hot!

Smokngun

Reaction score
Mine is a St. Louis built car. There is nothing left of original markings on my car as the entire thing has been vapor blasted (body, springs, axles, torsion bars, etc.). I may just NOT do this since if anyone ever started looking at it that close and pointed out everything that is "wrong" I may go WWE and start swinging a folding chair. LOL.

Back